IGNORED

Sub $2k DAC selection help.

I have been going crazy trying to piece together a system. The more I read, the more overwhelmed I become at all the available options. I have spent the past week reading reviews on this site as well as others trying to make a decision and settle on something.

My budget is roughly $2k, i'd like to say less since i am basing the $2k on a DAC/PREamp.

Is there anything out there besides the benchmark dac1 hdr that integrates a dac and preamp?

AES3 isn't a necessity but is something I would like to maybe have since it is available on the rme 9632.

What are some good options for a standalone DAC in the sub $1200 range, again something possibly with aes3.

Any worthwhile async. usb contenders in that $1200 range?

Somebody shed some light and steer me in the right way (or any way for that matter). There is just way too many options out there and I am pulling my hair out.

Try out the Apogee dacs (ONE, DUET, Mini). I've heard the Benchmark, Lavry, Apogee, and PS audio (DLIII) dacs and they are all at around the same level meaning it will come down to personal taste.

Did you say Async around $1200 with preamp? The Wavelength Proton fits that bill. I haven't heard it, but there's a review around here somewhere.

I was doing a little more reading/researching on the proton and bumped into something called a wavelength wavelink, i cannot find much info on it though, judging from the pictures it looks like usb in to an enclosure that looks exactly like a proton and single wire out (digital coax)? What is this device and what is it used for?

Also question about the protons volume control. It has the software volume control that can be controlled on the computer, but IF I decided to hook it up straight to a power amp, is there a way to control the volume, through windows 7, with some sort of media center IR remote? I know the mac guys can do this with a "rowmote" but I am looking for an alternative in windows 7 to control the protons software volume with some sort of remote, if for some reason, I decide to hook it up straight to a power amp.

Also has anyone found that proton for less than $900 at any of the listed dealers?