IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR4 PSU

On 2/7/2020 at 8:11 PM, highstream said:

With the SR4 placed on its feet, anyone have an idea which way current runs through the fuse, top down or bottom up? 

The current runs from the top of the SR4 fuse holder to the bottom.  So you want the direction of the letters on the Orange fuse to go from the top of unit to the bottom.

My system here

4 minutes ago, highstream said:

However, with the SR inserted that way, the music sounded more image precise but screechy. The other way was more open and relaxed.

I have four Orange fuses in my system, all placed with the lettering in the direction of the current.  Based on your comment, I will try the other direction now also.  Thanks.

I don't currently have Orange fuses on my two SR4s -- I am using Hifi Turning Supreme Cu fuses there.  I figured they are warmer sounding ,what with the copper and all.  The SR4s in my system lean a bit to the neutral/cool side, so warm power cords and fuses help to balance that out.  But I haven't tried an Orange fuse on an SR4 yet, and do plan to do that.  I have one in my preamp that I can try in the SR4.

My system here

9 minutes ago, marce said:

You can't have a directional mains fuse, its an AC signal so changes direction 50/60 times a second!!!

Good point.  But based on a lot of people's observations, something in the AC field is directional.  I haven't actually tried reversing fuses yet myself to see if I can hear a difference.

My system here

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, John769 said:

Reading some of the earlier feedback of the standard SR4, it seems to tilt slightly to the warm side tonally (at least in comparison to the LPS1.2). Is the turbo version similar in that regards.... or maybe a bit airier? 

Not my experience.  I found the LPS 1.2 to be definitely warmer than the standard SR4.  In the systems I have tried it in, the SR4 is neutral in tone, maybe even a smidgen on the cooler side.  All this can be tweaked with fuses, power cords, and AC receptacles.

My system here

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, Oepsie said:

Any other advice on suitable mains cables?  🐵

I've found the Triode Wire Labs 10+ to be an excellent match with the Paul Hynes supplies.  Made in America, too.

These come up on AudioCircle occasionally for about 1/2 price of retail.  Set a trigger in HiFi Shark and you will probably have one in six months.  There is a used 10+ there now that just got listed - it may well be too short at 0.75 meters though.

My system here