IGNORED

Truncating MQA files to 16 bits and the blue light still shines

This is all very interesting.   But how can all of this manipulation possibly result in better sound?  I don’t care if it is a $50K dCS or a $499. iFI, none of this processing can be good for music — or humans for that matter.

I submit that the primary benefit of most digital systems is convenience and, sadly, if you look at other threads on this site, you will see that library management, storage, connectivity and other issues are still major issues.

It all makes me wonder if the much maligned, non audiophile, iPod generation has it right, just put your music on a phone and get some ear buds — burn your Stereophile magazines and forget all this digital pain, life is to short.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

3 hours ago, esldude said:

This is what is a true shame about High end audio in the modern world.  It leaves one thinking simple is a guarantee of poor quality (30 years ago it was the reverse).  That you need not only superb (and obscenely expensive) gear, but a whole trove of add ons just to get this supposedly great gear to function much at all.  

It is not true.  It breeds needless worry for what should be fun hobby.  And it makes this hobby needlessly expensive and complex.  A music lover who appreciates quality sound should get a step off the  bottom rung and ignore the rest of this baloney.  Beyond that you are exactly right.  For everyone else the value proposition is much better to just iphone it and roll on. 

Post of the day award!!!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law