IGNORED

JVS Cheerleads an MQA CD..Sis Boom Bah!

7 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

He covered up the mailing label, t keep his address private. In addition, the cover of issues mailed to subscribers is somewhat different from those sold on newsstands or via Zinio, to make room for the label area.

And to address the confusion evidenced elsewhere in this thread, MQA CDs play normally on a regular CD player, albeit with reduced resolution. But if you feed the 16/44k1 S/PDIF or AES3 datastream from the player's digital output to an MQA-capable DAC, it will be unfolded in the usual way

And please note that Jason's name is Serinus, not Sirinus or Serinius.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

And  page 51 omitted from  the contents pages? We are not as dumb as you appear to think.

And in your desperation, yet another triviality, Mr Akinson.

8 minutes ago, realhifi said:

)My mistake there!  You know, not all of us are conniving and trying desperately to make a point. Some of us are just honest normal folk. 

Me too. My replies (except for  my very first 'MQA' reply in the magazine),  is  factual, if rather blunt.

Even  Wavelength' s 'Chief Scientist', the second to introduce  'asynchonous'  USB, no less,   did not dispute my  reply to him.

17 minutes ago, realhifi said:

How many ways should I apologize for missing the pg 51 article in the contents in Stereophile?  As many as the apologies I’ve gotten from people saying I covered up the cover disengeuously?  

It wasn't true. Only facts matter (if  I find them convenient  :))

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

I find it hard to believe that you "missed" it when you've been so busy posting in the thread here discussing that very article. I'll accept, however, that you may have been unaware of the news stand cover with an MQA highlight in the corner you covered.

"I am   unaware...."  -  any  politician

18 minutes ago, realhifi said:

I have read it online and just received the print version of the magazine and to be honest was distracted by other articles in it and (stupidly) missed it in the contents section.  Now, I've said it a number of times so I don't think it needs said again that I flat out missed it.

Your contention isn't that I'm blind for missing it (I somewhat could accept that) but that I am a liar.  That's not cool my friend. 

I never said you were anything so you are certainly lying about that. you merely volunteered  a suggestion to mansr, who didn't say anything either. If you want to volunteer stuff, that's  fine with me :) 

Personally I'm getting   somewhat bored with MQA. I genuinely think it will fail of  its own accord.

AFAIK everything Stuart has touched in the last  42 years has.

Just now, realhifi said:

Lol!  If that's a huge pile then I'm pretty sure I can handle it!  I'm not cool with insinuations that I'm a liar though and I can't imagine anyone on this forum would either.  It's called common decency.

So you've reduced it to 'insinuations' now? That's a start.

Perhaps  you will get to "I  myself insinuated  I was a liar" soon rather than throw 'threats' about "anyone else on this forum" around.

1 minute ago, MikeyFresh said:

Exactly my thoughts, that is a JVS fantasy/dream sequence of some sort.

He picked a very bad example in using Japan as the supposedly more educated and interested in MQA market, I'd venture it's really quite the opposite.

It's not education, it's training. There a BIG difference.

A 'technically'  educated person wouldn't touch MQA with a bargepole.

1 minute ago, realhifi said:

No, I think I'll stick with what people wrote.  As far as threats, I hardly see my comment as a threat. 

Point out where anyone wrote that you are a liar. You insinuated you were, but  that's it.

Keep digging your hole it you want, personally I shall just watch from now on, being bored with your nonsense. Brinkman Ship seems to have taken over. It's not 'all about you'  anyway.

12 minutes ago, Indydan said:

As I understand it, the Meridian 808.6 has digital inputs (Coaxial, USB and optical) that allow the user to plug in a transport (computer, server, etc.) to use the onboard DAC of the Meridian 808.6. This onboard DAC is MQA capable. 

So if someone plugged a computer into the Meridian and played an MQA file, the file would be MQA decoded. It is not clear if an MQA CD was played by the Meridian, that the full MQA decoding would take place. 

What Hifi reviewed the player, but they did not seem to have any MQA CDs to test it. 

https://www.whathifi.com/meridian/808v6-signature-reference-cd-player/review

Either way. At 11 000 pounds sterling for a big ugly box the size of a shipping crate, I will not buy it to find out...  9_9

Rickety  CD tray, switches from Toys 'R Us, and a sound that "might not suit all tastes". And this from a 'popular' magazine that does how to watch Formal one, how to set up  Amazon Echo,and so on.

Not  exactly  'Gobsmacked,  are they? :)

Just now, Indydan said:

This has always been my impression of Meridian gear; overpriced and under performing. Meridian's financial statements indicate I am not alone in feeling this way. 

Meridian has never had any significant presence in its home market. 'Lay' people think it's far  too expensive, 'serious' people think it's a joke.

1 hour ago, Tintinabulum said:

Wind up right? Check out a pair of DSP5000s second hand at £600. Allo digital board , pi, Roon, NAS. I doubt you’ll get a sound like that for less than three times the price. 

Yup look up RRP and swoon but plenty of people are picking up superb bargains just now.

dont let the real world interrupt your fantasy though which presumably is ....

Meridian=MQA=hate.

Serious? Eeeek....

40 years of financial losses tell me how good Meridian  is. And Stuart's previous effort, Lecson,   lasted about two years. The controls, being only attached with sticky tape, fell off,  and the power amp melted.

And for me and Meridian the  UK is the real world. You try and find  many  dealers  that sell them, let alone who has anything in stock. Don't believe their  'dealer' list.

11 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

From the company accounts, how do you know whether it is financial mismanagement, and not tax reduction techniques ?

I had a Meridian CD player in the 1990's, and used it for 7 years no issue.

Regards,

Shadders.

It's one company, not a  'conglomerate in which they can hide things.  And  our tax people are not notably stupid.

As Stuart's   extremely wealthy wife (Boston Globe?)  has stopped propping it up it's been sold at low cost to a bunch of Swiss venture capitalists who  have added it to their 'luxury goods' portfolio, mostly watches.

40 minutes ago, Shadders said:

HI,

Meridian has always been associated with high quality, and advanced system design. As it has been sold to investors who see it as high end, then i cannot see the Meridian name being used for lower priced products.

Not sure if they have the ability to re-enact the Tag-McClaren name as a brand for hifi (maybe not - McClaren may object), but they could easily design high performance systems with an acceptable price tag, and keep some British brand going. They would be competing with Cambridge Audio, or Audiolab - but then, hifi is in decline.

Regards,

Shadders.

I think some guys on camels  in the desert might  object.

This week it's their turn  to own  McLaren and some expensive  'Swiss' watchmaker.

AudioLab is Chinese but was once called TAG-Mclaren. Cambridge audio is UK designed and owned but Chinese made.

"What a tanged web..etc"

59 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

'Personally I put some music on and listen, that tells me how good Meridian equipment is. Maybe there's a forum for bitching about your hate figures, I'm not sure this is it though. Hifi anyone (computer based)?

At the price you paid it's fine. That's always been Meridians problem.

MQA Ltd. lost £3.2 million of  'Administrative Expenses'  on a total annual  turnover of £29,000 (which is considerably less than mine). I wish I knew how to do that. 

23 minutes ago, realhifi said:

My whole point in that post (in which I erroneously missed THE article on MQA) was that there was a wealth of information to be found in the major audio publications on Hi-Fi, music and the Hi-Fi industry which absolutely dwarfed any MQA mentions. 

It doesn't matter. Maybe you, me, and some others went too far. We should all bear in mind that we are not killing babies here. It's just an entirely 'passive' hobby, which are the easiest type  of all hobbies, though it has its 'cognoscenti' interests.

And unlike some others who usually appear fairly briefly  trying to sell us something,  and are very often 'economical with the truth',  we have no financial interest in any of it.

Stereophile's still at it.

I commented entirely  factually and politely, on Serinus' report about  the  'Reich' recording he reviewed.

Serinus totally lost his cool and did a Lavorgna impersonation. Also mathematics and measurements are now both opinions. EG:

"all the good and righteous people in the universe who are staunchly committed to upholding the laws of physics "

So I replied to that too, politely, suggesting Atkinson  might do some measurements for him.

21 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Did you compare the 24/48 v the 16/44 tidal versions, 24/48 sounds better, right?

It's supposed to be 'authenticated' by the performers. according to MQA, They never even heard it. He 'added' MQA later, and 4000 miles away. And they aren't some 'manufactured ' pop group  made by the record label for pre-pubescent schoolgirls,  they are experienced 'classical' musicians.

2 hours ago, Rexp said:

Avoiding the question I see..

Anyone here think the flac stream sounds better than the unfolded MQA stream? As things stand, Audiophiles without MQA dacs should be happy that they're getting better sound from MQA albums.

Trying to skew the answer I see. So your question wasn't worth answering.

You 'skewed' it in MQA's favor, as Brinkman Ship said. Dumb we are not, sorry.

FLAC is much better.

I don't like the distortions that MQA introduces. It can give  the music a false 'lively'  sound that can be attractive at first but becomes tiring. Like church mouse says.

So yes, straight FLAC every time. With or without MQA switched  on. My DACs got both.

And you are trying to 'skew' it again. We are no dumber now than at the beginnng.

"Audiophiles without MQA dacs should be happy that they're getting better sound from MQA albums."

That's 'loaded ' You (falsely) think you know the answer before we got started  and have 'prompted us.

1 hour ago, church_mouse said:

In my system, to my ears, when I tested MQA using Audirvana unfolding, the MQA sounded different and worse - in fact it was tiring to listen to a whole MQA a!bum.

I am not making a general statement that MQA is worse, just a contrary experience to your statement that in general MQA sounds better.

If the industry allowed MQA to exist simply as a clearly marked alternative, then I would have no qualms. The possibility it may become an enforced standard would end my acquisition of new music based on my current experience.

Straight FLAC is much better than MQA.

So  MQA isn't an "alternative", which is a choice between two similar things. Not between a good apple and a rotten one.