IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

After 48 hours of casual listening & burn-in, I conducted a fairly brief A/B of my ISO Regen with the original Mean Well P/S versus my new LPS-1.2 received several days ago.  Down-stream I feed directly to an Oppo Sonica DAC via the included Uptone USPCB adapter.  From there I use balanced XLR directly to a Parasound stereo amp.  Music files are played from a custom-built Win10 HTPC with latencies in the range of 50 µs or less using JRiver MC23 and an ASIO driver from Oppo with minimum latency buffer settings.

I have to say that even though I made the leap of faith to purchase the LPS-1.2, I was sceptical that my ears would be able to hear any real differences.  After all, we are talking about a power supply for a digital signal clean-up device!  Bits are bits!  The reason my A/B didn't take long is because the differences were not subtle.  I clearly heard improved soundstaging, better depth of soundstage, improved bass definition and dynamics, less glare for top-hats and cymbals, and improved transient harmonics and definition for pianos and violins.  A couple of songs I played which demonstrated these properties include: the plucked strings at 1:10 into the Agnes Obel song, "Aventine", the bass cello (?) at 0:33 in the same song and the entire same song for soundstage.  Another is Yo-Yo Ma & Company's, "The Goat Rodeo Sessions", song is "Quarter Chicken Dark".  The harsh mandolin strumming right at the begining of the song is now much less strident and has better definition.

Overall, my initial assessment is that I am impressed and very happy to have the LPS-1.2 in my audio system.

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover