IGNORED

PC+itunes to MacMini+iTunes+DAC

Hello, I am new here. Have discovered the site and been reading for about a month. A brilliant resource!

It is all happening as I am about to move to computer based music. My first Mac - a MacMini is on its way and I am preparing for transitioning to it as my main music source. At the moment I am after advice on how to do things properly from the start as I am sure this will help me to avoid problems/re-work later. Additional complication for me is that i do not know Macs.

So, I currently have a WinXP pc with about 100Gig of music in ALAC, AAC (from itunes store) and a bit of MP3s. currently this only serves ipod touch via dock to my stereo and I use CDs of cause.

With getting the Mac I plan to use it as a dedicated music server. I already have a Chordette Gem, but plan to replace it with something like Benchmark Dac1 HDR playing to active speakers.

I also plan to download hi-rez music.

Questions:

1. Best way to transfer the library to the mac? - copy folder using external HD in FAT32 format? wireless import? wired import via router?

2. Do I need any software in additon to itunes?

3. Important things to set-up on the mac?

4. Which dac input to use - USB or optical? Why?

4.a I hear some dacs claim to make USB 24/96 but also say they do not have custom drivers. How is that possible?

5. Can I make MacMini to switch on and off automatically at certain time of day weekdays/weekends?

6. I hear I can contorl MacMini from a different machnie - from a PC? how?

7. general comemnt sabout how to go about it all to take the right direction from the start

8. is it possilbe to connect the macmini to a small touchscreen display to control playback? do oyu know any compatible touchscreens?

I am sure I will have more questions as part of this journey, but somehow I am confident that, with your help, the first mac experience will be good. Not to mention the sound quality!

I was very impressed with the improvement of sound when I tried the Gem. this, and reading this site, triggered the whole transition thing!

> 1.Best way to transfer the library to the mac? - copy folder using external HD in FAT32 format? wireless >import? wired import via router?

I would network the two machines, then use Home Sharing to view the PC library from the Mac. Mark all the content in your remote library and select IMPORT. It will take a while to copy them all, but it will preserve any modifications and special artwork in your library, and it may also help you detect any damaged files. Works over wireless or wired, but a wired connection is likely to be a bit faster.

>2. Do I need any software in additon to itunes?

Nope.

>6. I hear I can contorl MacMini from a different machnie - from a PC? how?

Pretty much any VNC client will allow you to do this, even on a PC or a handheld.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein