IGNORED

Decision: Schitt Modi Multibit or Pro-Ject Pre Box S2

Hello All,

I have been a member here for several years, but I don't post often. I am in the market for a new USB DAC for my computer based music collection. I am torn between the two models that I have mentioned in the thread title so I will give you all some background info.

I live in the USA and I work in retail, so my budget is very slim. I currently own a Music Streamer II + that I am relatively happy with, but I feel the itch to upgrade. I have been collecting CDs since 1984 and I own about 6,000 CDs which I am in the process of ripping to my hard drive via dbPowerAmp. I use foobar 2000 as my music playback app, but I could change that if I have to.

My digital music collection consists of about 90% 44.1/16 bit music files derived from my personal CD collection. I download some stuff from HDTracks so I do dabble in high rez music. I do not stream music and I really have no intention to ever stream music.

The reason I have chosen the Pro-Ject  and Schitt as my choices is because of price and features. I see the benefits of the Pro-Ject for future expansion into DSD and MQA, but i kind of doubt that I will really dabble in these. (There are a lot of DSD titles at Acoustic Sounds that look interesting, but I am on a budget.) I have read a lot about the Pro-Ject on the other thread, but I don't think that I can afford an upgraded power supply right now. The Schitt seems to fit my needs because my collection is 100% PCM and mostly 44.1/16 bit, which the Schitt seems to specialize in.

My computer stereo consists of a cheap Marantz amplifier connected to a pair of desktop PSB Alpha speakers.

Any opinions and ideas are greatly appreciated. I have not committed myself to anything and I am not in a hurry. A shout out to left channel over at the Pro-Ject thread for all of the valuable information.

Rocky Bennett

Hello Everybody,

Again, thanks for all of the opinions, insights and information. I know I am going to make everybody mad and disappointed but I ordered a new Mimbe straight from Schiit Audio. There is more to it than just the multi-bit features, but I really wanted to get away from USB DACs that were powered from the PC. Even though I built this PC and it has a clean, stable Evga Supernova PSU, I am still concerned about the transients and ripples present in PC power. The analog stage of the Mimby should be to my tastes, so I am looking forward to adding this to my system.

Again thanks to everybody that has posted here, it really means a lot to me. I will report back my impressions of the new Schiit when I have installed it and listened to it. I am also exploring some new Andrew Jones speakers to go with this DAC based on earlier comments regarding the mid-frequencies of my little Paul Bartons.

Rocky Bennett

On 2/16/2018 at 8:41 AM, bigbob said:

Rocky-- Your initial impressions mirror exactly what I am experiencing with the Mimby. Warmth, and very 'musical'. I am sure that 12 hours of 24-bit Grateful Dead assisted in the 'mellowness'. One thing I have noticed, and am interested if you experience it also.

With 24-bit Dead, when I am sitting in the 'sweet spot' and close my eyes, the soundstage imaging is so accurate, I can see Jerry, Bobby, and Phil in their places on stage.

As a fellow member of the Tribe, I would be interested if you can 'see'  Jerry step up for the lead.

Wow bigbob, I am so glad that you posted this. It is always so nice to communicate with a fellow (dare I say it) Dead Head. I have hundreds of concerts stored on my hard drive in 24 bit resolution, many of them transferred from the original sound board tape using the Plangent Process http://audiophilereview.com/analog/plangent---a-better-way-to-transfer-analog-tape.html

Yes, the sound stage of these concerts are phenomenal. You can definitely "feel" the placement of each and every musician. People can say what they want about Donna Godchaux, but in 24 bit even her vocals add depth to the sound stage.

My main thing is jazz and I listen to a lot of Sonny Rollins and Miles Davis, but Hendrix and AC/DC are also common on my system. This little Mimby DAC is very musical and a wonderful little "audiophile on the cheap" addition to my system.

Thanks to all here for their time and consideration on my little decision.

Rocky

6 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

What model Marantz?  Does it have coax or toslink input?

if so, save your money and go with Allo with spdif output.

Basically DigiOne is a I2S to S/PDIF stream…then an isolator…then a re-clocker with buffered outputs.”

https://darko.audio/2017/08/allos-digione-pulls-five-star-sound-quality-from-the-raspberry-pi/

If you want to spend more money, i agree with others that suggest IFI...why limit your DSD capabilities unnecessarily!  Or better yet, if you can squeeze $500, buy a used teac NT503.

I have a Marantz receiver that is all analog, model SR 4023. It was cheap and provides plenty of punch for a desktop computer based stereo system.

12 hours ago, buonassi said:

Also, even after "burn in", I think it's par for the course to leave R2R dacs on all the time, as this seems to be the consensus and common practice, though it's more about temp stabilization, so you won't need to feed it any info.  

I leave all of my components on 24/7, including my amplifier. This has been a practice of mine since the late 1960s. Thanks for the advice.