IGNORED

Physical CD's

I keep most of mine in cardboard boxes that fit the plastic cases.  The boxes are scattered around the house & garage, making it difficult for me to find a particular CD.  A few are on shelves in the living room (a few means < 1,000).  The plan is to keep only SACD & DVD discs in the living room... but it is surprisingly hard to eliminate the silvery lil' buggers in any organized fashion...

I use Time Machine to back up my ripped Apple Lossless files, and should eport the whole thing onto an external HDD which also contains older time machine backups and eventually finds its way to offsite storage...

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have a cite for a requirement to keep the original CD in your possession?

What if you have proof of purchase - a receipt? 

Or suppose your house flooded and the CD was swept away but you were able to save your portable HDD which had copies of the ripped CD and your purchase receipt...?

it all depends on the exact wording of the statute, and Congressional intent - that is what will (or should) determine the case law

and any cases on the matter may or may not apply to you

I have not read any of the above except some portions of the statute, and some of the Complaints the big record companies filed against some college students who were "sharing" with their "friends" (all over the internet)