IGNORED

noob ripping mistake

So i've been blissfully ripping my entire collection into AIFF. About 500 GBs into this project I figure out that the Western Media MyBook mirror edition that is my primary storage is configured as a RAID 0 array, not as a RAID 1 array as I thought. I have everything backed up using Time Machine on another Western Media 2 TB external hard drive.

So my options seem to be:

1. reconfigure the Mirror edition and use the Time Machine back up to reload all of the files once reconfigured.

2. back up the Mirror edition onto a third drive, reconfigure and use the third drive to reload

3. Rock on and figure the Time Machine back up is good enough.

I'm pretty new to this stuff and have no real computer background. Obviously I don't want to make a mistake that would kill all those files. Any thoughts and recommendations from you seasoned computer audiophiles would be appreciated.

My setup is Mac mini, Western Media Mybook mirror edition primary storage, Western Media Mybook essential as back up using Time Machine, M2Tech HiFace -> Cambridge audio DacMagic

thanks,

Careless

The way I see it, you've already got two backups - time machine and the original disks. I don't really see much advantage in having a third. Famous last words and all that, but I just don't see it as being all that big a deal to re-rip should the worst happen.

Just out of curiosity, does time machine cause any noticeable playback problems when it kicks in to do it's stuff?

• 3 weeks later...

I think the problem with RAID 0 is that if one drive dies you lose everything. On the other hand a RAID 1 mirror is not a full double backup, if the controller goes wrong you can lose both drive at the same time. Anyways I have a WD MyBook Studio 2x1TB RAID 1 mirrored and another MyBook 1TB as backup.

? MBP ? M2Tech hiFace ? Heed Q-PSU/Dactilus 2 ? Heed CanAmp ? Sennheiser HD650