IGNORED

Network Streamers With I2S Output?

23 hours ago, T-Bone said:

I am trying to find a network streamer with I2S output.  Unfortunately, I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.  Perhaps someone here can recommend a product that I'm not yet familiar with.

I want to pair a network streamer with a Holo Spring DAC which has an I2S input. 

Before someone suggests it, I do NOT want to add digital-to-digital converter like the Singxer SU-1 between a streamer and a DAC in order to convert USB to I2S.

My ultimate solution is a Wi-Fi / Ethernet input and I2S output.  My "dream product" would be a Sonore ultraRendu with I2S output.  

I'm in a similar position, unfortunately an ethernet In/I2S Out is pretty rare. My findings:

• SOtM has a very interesting line up with the EX clocks in the Ultra's. But no I2S output..
  • Sonore has a two device option: the micro/ultraRendu with the ultraDigital, which has an I2S out
  • Manga Mano has a one box NAA with I2S output, they are about to introduce an updated model
  • Metrum acoustics will introduce a one box NAA with I2S soon, the Ambre
  • less known: the Soundaware D100 Pro

Based on current experience I would love to see a SOtM SMS-200 Ultra with an I2S output.. that's not the case, so I guess I'll wait a little to see what Manga and Metrum have in their sleeve. Otherwise I guess the 2 box Sonore the I2S way to go.

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, doraymon said:

Checking in as I am interested in feeding my Holo KTE Spring L3 directly from a streamer with I2S output.

Today I have a very long (and expensive) USB chain.

4 boxes before the DAC:

AQVOX AQ-SWITCH-8 > SOtM sMS-200ultra > SOtM tX-USBultra > Singxer KTE SU-1 DDR > Holo Audio KTE Spring DAC L3 

Funny enough removing the SU-1 and feeding the USB in of the Spring directly from the tX-USBultra sounds better to my ears.

I'm ready to sell the whole chain and invest in a very good streamer with I2S output.

That are 4 boxes, excluding the power supplies. This also put me off, as well as the extra cost for a bunch of cables. The one box Mano appeals to me. My only concern is the performance in comparison with the SOtM Ultra's, a first hand experience would be nice. Metrum has announced the Ambre with I2S output, probably also in the €1.000 range. Otherwise the Bricasti M5 could be interesting, although without I2S output.

It would be great if Manga, Metrum, SOtM, Sonore, .. would make a killer one box NAA/endpoint with I2S, but perhaps it is to much of a niche market??

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

The Ambre is likely to get an RJ45 (ethernet) I2S port rather than HDMI, since that is what it is using with its dac I2S add-on board, right?  So compatibility might very well be an issue for owners of many I2S dacs not called Metrum.  BTW, where are folks getting Ambre news (like it having NAA, etc)?

The connector doesn't matter that much, as long you can adjust the signals setting it will be flexible. But I agree, ideally an I2S standard will appear on the horizon, plus and play.

I believe "NAA" has several definitions. With NAA I mean a Network Audio Adapter device (Network Ethernet in / digital audio out). So the Ambre is a NAA, just as a SMS-200, UltraRendu, Mano, etc

My main source for Metrum news is Facebook, on their page Cees posted some  impressive test with the RJ45/ethernet I2S cable lengths.

5 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Hi Seeteeyou, firstly I want to express my appreciation for your posts on CA with so much interesting insights, a big thank you!

When you happen to notice a killer one box NAA/Endpoint with I2S output, I very much interested (preferably at SOtM Ultra’s level or above). Unfortunately I don’t have useable DIY/solder skills, so a ‘of the shelve’ device is preferable :-)

10 minutes ago, ted_b said:

By NAA I meant specifically HQPlayer's network audio adapter and said daemon, which is a specific application and more defined than just having a network in, digital out.  And what do you mean the connector doesn't matter much?  Can a round peg (RJ45) fit in a square hole (HDMI)?   Please advise.

Nothing a big hammer won’t solve :-)

I meant that the I2S signals can be transported true a HDMI and RJ45 connector, both will work and both ‘formats’ will have their good, bad and ugly plugs. It’s also possible to work with a HDMI on one end and an RJ45 on the other end, as long as the internal signal wires match (and preferably can configurated with jumpers). Not being an expert, perhaps a more technical skilled member can confirm this? A common I2S standard would make things easier though.

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

I've reviewed here on CA several I2S units including the Holo, the SU-1, the PS Audio Directstream, the Sonore Signature Rendu, etc.  I have NEVER heard of universal I2S ethernet cable with an HDMi on the other end (some DIY guys tried it a couple years ago but found issues with voltages, LVDS staying balanced, DSD compatibility, etc).  Please don't minimize this incompatibility, but if you have plans or drawings then by all means.  I was simply pointing out that us HDMI-based I2S owners should not immediately assume a Metrum streamer (or any other RJ45-based I2S source) will work.  That's all.  And yes, as many of us have been saying for years now: "ahh...I2S standards..and so many to choose from!".

I’m not looking for a discussion, just pointing out HDMI and RJ45 can work together, in the uncertain I2S context., I don’t think there’s a ‘universal’ HDMI - RJ45 cable, which will create a plug and play connection. Given the various I2S implementations this isn’t the case. But that doesn’t have to mean it’s impossible. Ie earlier I had contact with Manga and they told me the Mano with HDMI out should be compatible with a Metrum i2S input (after contact with Metrum). Again, this is a rather custom situation (given the lack of standardisation). But please don’t rule out HDMI/I2S compatibility on forehand, i guess it depends. Unfortunally per situation some investigation is still necessary (which is also the case with a HDMI - HDMI I2S connection).

10 hours ago, FredM said:

I’m not looking for a discussion, just pointing out HDMI and RJ45 can work together, in the uncertain I2S context., I don’t think there’s a ‘universal’ HDMI - RJ45 cable, which will create a plug and play connection. Given the various I2S implementations this isn’t the case. But that doesn’t have to mean it’s impossible. Ie earlier I had contact with Manga and they told me the Mano with HDMI out should be compatible with a Metrum i2S input (after contact with Metrum). Again, this is a rather custom situation (given the lack of standardisation). But please don’t rule out HDMI/I2S compatibility on forehand, i guess it depends. Unfortunally per situation some investigation is still necessary (which is also the case with a HDMI - HDMI I2S connection).

Hmm, a day after correction (I blame 3 delicious Golden Carolus and a pleasant evening), sorry for this..

HDMI/I2S => HDMI/RJ45

bottomline: HDMI and RJ45 can work together, but it depends.