IGNORED

MicroRendu and Brightness

Aloha,

I'm intrigued by the concept and popularity of the MircroRendu and am considering buying a used one.

I prefer a full, rich vinyl like sound and am allergic to brightness, or unpleasant sibilance with the highs.  For instance, I consistently have found iFi products to be too bright.  I found the W4S RUR more pleasing than the iFi Micro USB device, etc.

What is the sound signature of the original MicroRendu in relation to brightness/ sibilance?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

A good answer above. You can spend quite a bit on PSUs and cabling to smooth out something like this, and seeing as you are only going to spend on a used MicroRendu the upsampling is a great shout.

So, if you're playing Flac files etc then upsampling is a good shout as it smooths things. If you are running a Mac the Audirvana 3 will play to it and upsample with plenty of options (without the mac being physically being connected to it, just has to be on the network, seeing it as an output). You'd have to check with someone that the older software on the Microrendu does this is if you don't have the latest one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I own HQP and have it upsample to DSD 128 either alone or with Roon. 

Audio Bacon implies the SOTM offerings are more musical and less bright than Sonore. 

Myintention was to get feedback in that assertion. 

Thx ?

1 hour ago, DancingSea said:

Audio Bacon implies the SOTM offerings are more musical and less bright than Sonore.

Its all relative, Ifi is bright and thin - (black label better) when compared to Microrendu .It is not bright compared to ifi, completely different sound. Microrendu is less bright than sms 200, Ultrarendu is brighter than sms200 ultra, so its not so simple.

Microrendu with Ultracap LPS1 is brighter than Microrendu with Sotm sps 500. Partner with a smooth sounding power supply and avoid silver cables. Adding a budget reclocker such as ideon audio reshaper, improves both microrendu and sms200 ,removing 'glare'.