IGNORED

Improving Schiit Eitr Sound Quality (2018)

From my experience, cable upgrades make a significant difference to the Eitr.  When I first got mine,  I bought into the ‘basic cables are perfect’ philosophy - using Schiit and Belkin. It wasn’t bad, and I didn’t realize anything was missing.   After a month or two,  I was offered the chance to try some AQ Carbons.  The immediate SQ improvement was startling, to say the least.  Within 15 mins I knew I would be selling my basic USB and Coax and getting something better.  

I have no experience of power supply changes to Eitr but understood the standard piece is all you need.  I’ve heard that before ?

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

8 hours ago, AmosM said:

Is there any reason an Eitr would occasionally cause regular clicks or pops when placed between a Mac Mini 2014 running A+ and a Rega DAC-R?

This isn’t frequent and always resolved by closing and restarting A+, but it didn’t happen prior to Eitr. 

Occurs with high-res files, Redbook, and Tidal HiFi, all of them. 

My digital front end SQ clearly improved overall since the Eitr, I should add,  if for no other reason than the coax input on the Rega DAC is superior. 

When I first got my Eitr I was running A+ through my 2012 MBP.  The sound was great, but I had the annoying, random clicks you are getting.  I increased the buffer in preferences and the noises went away, just like that.  My Mac has 8 gig of memory..

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

6 hours ago, exdmd said:

Going from your Eitr to DAC all you need is a $20 75 ohm Blue Jeans Cable S/PDIF cable.

I beg to differ, sir.  I lived with a $20 75 ohm Blue Jeans S/PDIF cable to connect my Eitr to my DAC for a month or two.  When I replaced said cable with an AQ Carbon, and ultimately a Coffee, I found the improvement in sonics to be most pleasing.  I recommend you try again. 

• 6 months later...
54 minutes ago, AmosM said:

I never formally said thanks for this solution. It worked. Pops averted! Now I have a Yggy on the way (eventually), and I guess my Rega-EITR combo will find a new place in my home or someone else’s.

Excellent - you're welcome. Congrats on the new Yggy.  Interested to hear your findings and comparison with the Rega/Eitr once it has burnt in.

2 hours ago, EMMM said:

3. I had previously tried an old Audioquest digital coaxial cable I had lying around and compared it to a cheaper (and newer) Belden 1694 coaxial cable.  I felt that the Audioquest was more laid back and gave a slightly better sense of space to the performers and musicians, but preferred the immediacy, bass and snappier presentation of the 1694.  I recently purchased some Belden 4794R cable which is still burning in.  Early impressions are that it is somewhere in between the Audioquest and 1694, but with better body and a slightly darker sound.

I moved in the opposite direction to you concerning cables.  I initially set up my Eitr with a simple Belden coax - I was curious to try it after all the good reports.  I lived with it quite happily until I had the opportunity to try an AQ Carbon.  The improvement was so obvious (in my system) it was an easy upgrade decision. Much more musical sound - clearly less 'digital' to my ears.

At the other end, I also use the little USPCB link and am quite happy with it.  Previously I had a Curious Cable  - can't say I gained anything noticeable from changing.