IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

On 12/10/2017 at 1:11 PM, GUTB said:

I think we all know why you don’t.

But you’re right, it’s irrelevent.

What does matter is the quality of MQA. I just listened to the MQA and non-MQA version of Hotel California 40th annervisary expended edition with the Pro-Ject Pre S2; if you can’t tell the difference I don’t know what to tell you. The MQA version sounds like hi-res, and the non-MQA sounds like Redbook.

Through a million dollar setup, some guest enjoyed the Redbook better than the high resolution.  Through a DC 

On 12/10/2017 at 1:11 PM, GUTB said:

I think we all know why you don’t.

But you’re right, it’s irrelevent.

What does matter is the quality of MQA. I just listened to the MQA and non-MQA version of Hotel California 40th annervisary expended edition with the Pro-Ject Pre S2; if you can’t tell the difference I don’t know what to tell you. The MQA version sounds like hi-res, and the non-MQA sounds like Redbook.

I heard a demo through a DCS stack and had to plug my ears on the MQA playback. It has a glassy, clear, introspective quality, but it hurt to listen to for any time.   On a million dollar system some people with "good ears" preferred good old Redbook to high Res DSD.  For figure.  They said it was just enjoyable. 

I think to many people get caught up in the technology and forget to relax and listen.  A ton of McIntosh equipment is bought and sold.  I know 2 people who found one of those amps and that was it.  End of the road.  Done.  No more looking, why?  Its not accuracy or perfection,  its just musical and pleasant to listen to. 

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe he doesn't get money, but some people crave attention, adoration and respect.  You get some of that on a pulpit.  Maybe he is a zealot.  The more importand point is how MQA is propogating and potentially threatening archives of older and new music.  I have been to enough demonstrations and had to plug my ears due to the thin shrill nature of the technology.  I know my bias.  

The voices of independent analysis could get together with a joint approach to record label executives and pitch some truth.  Just remember, its a damaged industry struggling to find revenue source.  MQA has been selling that story. Revenue.  You need a story yourelf and a market analysis to back it.