IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

@Miska:

Just a quick question - I noticed that earlier in this thread (I think it was) you mentioned that it likely would take some time before there would be a computer capable of running your new modulators at DSD512 speed. To this end: Do you have any estimate of the clock speed required to run these DSD512 modulators?

Cheers,

Jesper 

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, that's the case for EC modulators. Of course regular ones run fine even on low power CPUs.

If CPUs clock per instruction efficiency or cross-core communication performance doesn't increase (they do), it would take about 8 GHz CPU for EC modulators. It is hard to estimate when these things will meet the required level.

Thanks Jussi for this feedback ... So likely there is a bit of time before the new DSD512 modulator will find its computer mate ... Good to know. 

Cheers - Jesper 

• 4 weeks later...

@Miska & others: This might already have been discussed here so please bear with me if I happen to repeat a question (also with reference to my previous question to Miska here: 

The question is if there is any consensus on which PC (processor (type & speed - Intel preferred), MB - chipset, RAM (GB & type/speed), HD - type, GPU (type/brand - is an integrated Intel OK?) is required to playback EC modulator DSD256 and "regular"  modulator DSD512?

From reading elsewhere in this forum it seems that PCM processing is not really an issue as even quite reasonably powered processors appear to be able to handle this (please correct me if I am mistaken here ... 😉) ...

Cheers & thanks for inputs,

Jesper 

@bobflood: Hi & thanks for your helpful feedback - appreciated 😉 ... One follow-up question if possible - you mention the 3000 series Nvidia CUDA capable cards, however, it seems that all of them have blowers mounted (the ones I have found). I am considering making a completely silent PC so it would be preferable to have a GPU that is without blowers. Do you - or someone else here - have experience with a card that is sufficiently powerful yet works without blowers?

Cheers, Jesper 

14 hours ago, bobflood said:

The GPU should be one of the 3000 series Nvidia CUDA capable cards.

@Gavin1977 & bobflood: Inspired by bobflood's comment about power dissipation I just checked the dissipation levels of an i9-10900k during full load and adding to this the power loss of the PSU, GPU etc. I reckon that such a PC may drain about 300-350 watts while loaded. That would indeed require quite some cooling if it is to be more or less passive ... I think I'll let it be for a bit of time and see if something comes up that can manage this amount of processing with less heating. Would be great if it was possible to process these DSD files overnight with just a normal PC and without needing HQPlayer Pro - or if it was possible to upload music files e.g. to Signalyst and have them processed there (and I wouldn't mind paying something for having the files processed). 

Thanks again to Bob & Gavin for your feedbacks :-)

Jesper 

i9-9900K, i9-9900KS, i9-10900K and Xeon W-2245 work fine here. I usually post information about my new builds and upgrades. Latest one is i9-10900K on Gigabyte Z490 VISION D motherboard and Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 low CL RAM.

Thanks again Miska for your feedback. A lot of processing power needed for these modulators 9_9

Cheers, Jesper

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all ... Just did a search on "laptop" in this thread and it seems that it has not been discussed, so - as I would prefer to have one "integrated solution" - any of you have experience with using laptops for DSD upsampling to DSD256 with the EC modulators?

May it work - also without costing a fortune?

Hoping here - cheers,

Jesper 

@bobflood & jcbenten: Thank you both for your feedbacks ... Well, I sort of assumed that it would be so (large, heavy, warm, active fans, etc.) if there were suitable laptops but it is fine to have it confirmed, thanks! Hmmm ... time to ponder again what would be a suitable solution - maybe some manufacturer will "soon" make processors in 1nm technology so that heat dissipation may drop significantly - would make things much easier 😌

Cheers,

Jesper 

@firedog & Ipoci: Thanks also for your feedbacks. I think it is still time to let my mind simmer on which solution is the best in my context although my guess is that I likely will end up building "sort of" a laptop myself so that it is both portable, reasonably powerful, yet still quiet. If possible I would prefer to not have a network in my home as it is less feasible from a practical point of view (and I am not into wireless networks) so preferably just one unit. 

Cheers & Merry Christmas (soon),

Jesper