IGNORED

Best (sane) choice to power micro/ultraRendu?

The UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 is an obvious choice and probably what I will get for my ultraRendu when I decide to get a proper power supply for it.

There is also (from Sonore web site):

iFi iPower power supply - 9VDC

CIAudio linear power supply - 9VDC

Teddy Pardo linear power supply - 7VDC

Uptone Audio JS-2 linear power supply - set to 7VDC

Vinnie Rossi LIO with microRendu/ultraRendu output stage

Sbooster - 9VDC

Sonore Signature Series linear power supply - 7VDC

I am not really interested in an HD flex solution....

Okay, I have narrowed it down to these 2:

https://www.teddypardo.com/powersupplies/teddy7-2.html

and this:

https://ciaudio.com/product/vdc•7-mkii-upgrade-power-supply/

The Teddy Pardo is $369 and the CI Audio is $329. I don't have specs yet on the Teddy Pardo but the CI Audio PS runs at about 2 microvolts of noise. That is pretty damn quiet.

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

That's all ACADEMIC though, isn't it ??? (at least according to you)

You claimed elsewhere that you only needed >60dB rejection, and rejected an HDPlex PSU that didn't measure well enough !

You have me confused with someone else. I don’t recall ever saying anything like that. I rejected the HDplex because I don’t need 4 power outputs. I want one output for a very specific purpose. 

4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

In which case they have missed listing one of the key features !!!

Neither is there any mention of the output noise level at the link you provided , in the Specifications.

You would expect them to boast about something like that, if it was WAY better than average.

Here is a CI Audio chart I posted in another thread:

VDC_Noise.jpg

The lines are Audio Precision noise floor, VDC at idle, and max rated power.

4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Are you sure that it's for the model that you linked to ?

If it is actually that quiet, then they are doing themselves a big disservice by not stating something like that in any of the specifications at the link you posted.

Yes, I am sure.

I bought the Pardo because it is suppose to be 1 microvolt and more people have heard of the company in regards to power supplies. That way, if it doesn't do enough to reduce noise in my particular setup, I have a better chance of reselling it.

32 minutes ago, sandyk said:

At a quick glance , I didn't see him do more than compare both technologies, but didn't seem to say whether he used SMPS or Linear supply for the Low noise regulator section.

IIRC, iFi USB also had a very low noise output, but being SMPS sent quite a bit of rubbish back into the A.C. mains supply, and quite a few members preferred a Linear PSU over it for this reason. 

P.S.

The size of the case in the photo,( judging by the size of the rocker switch) suggests to me that there is inadequate room inside for a conventional 30VA transformer. 

From Teddy Pardo:

"Our power supplies are based on our unique SuperTeddyReg technology, which is better than linear and does not inject noise to the mains."

So 1 microvolt of DC noise and no noise injection back into the AC mains. What's not to love?

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Even the best supplies from J.S. inject a  little noise back into the mains, and that includes the JS-1 Ultracap supply.

Sounds a little too good to be true.

Maybe, but people that sell high end power supplies don't keep their hard earned reputations by lying....so I would be much more inclined to believe him than call him a liar!

BTW, for those still looking at the Super TeddyReg, the attached link from a competitor may be of interest, especially the claim about the large change in voltage output under load, if it is correct as it appears to be.

According to the  Super TeddyReg page it is a different technology to either Linear or SMPS.

That may apply to the power source that they use to feed the Super TeddyReg, but it appears to be misleading to state this , because both the  TeddyReg and Super Teddy Reg are voltage regulators following the power supply itself.

My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that the term Super TeddyReg, just like TeddyReg, applies to the voltage regulation area which also uses a capacitance multiplier, and still needs normal rectification of the A.C. mains before it, hence the mains related glitches in the posted noise level graph.

The actual PSU powering the Super TeddyReg appears to be some kind of Linear supply, but not necessarily using a conventional mains transformer. Much earlier TVs were transformerless (old Rank Arena's, Sharp etc) . but didn't use SMPS either.

They were still a variety of Linear PSU, and quite dangerous to work on !!!

I made the mistake of looking at my old Sharp CTV with a C.R.O. that was connected to mains earth and blew up a couple of rectifier diodes.:$

https://www.belleson.com/comparesuperted.php

I asked Teddy if that web page was accurate. This is what he said:

Not only that it is not accurate, it’s irrelevant…

He is referring to an old STR version which is different from the circuit we use for our commercial products In addition, even with regard to the old design, he is using different transistors with different parameters than in our design, and makes the assumption that it doesn’t change the behavior, but it proves that he doesn’t understand how the circuit works, he is wrong, it totally changes the circuit behavior.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Does he provide a graph for Voltage regulation vs. load current , as most normal voltage regulator data sheets do ?

That's the area that most concerns me in light of the Belleson claim, who BTW., also have an excellent reputation for their voltage regulators..

What is your deal with this? You don't like Teddy Pardo power supplies? Don't buy them. But don't crap on them when you don't know crap about them.

The Teddy Pardo power supply has an excellent reputation. I suspect Teddy has forgotten more about power supplies than you will ever know. I did the research and found overwhelmingly positive comments regarding his commercial power supplies.

That's not what you are "simply" doing. You are looking for anything negative you can find on the Teddy Pardo power supply "simply" because I chose to order one. All the negatives you have found don't apply or have been refuted. If you find pertinent data, negative or positive, on the actually Teddy Pardo power supply I ordered, feel free to post it. Unsubstantiated competitor rants don't qualify....

On 11/28/2017 at 7:49 PM, OldBigEars said:

I just pulled the trigger today on the CIAudio 7v power supply for my mR.  Very much looking forward to hearing it - should arrive next week.   I’ll let you know.....

Where are you located? I ask because it might be interesting to swap power supplies at some point to see if one sounds better than the other in our respective systems. I was torn between the a Teddy Pardo and the CI Audio. I would love to find out if I made the right choice and rectify the problem if I did not!

10 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I’m in New Jersey, near nyc. You.? It could be interesting to swap for a while. I hear good things about TP.  Almost went for his amp.  My CI power arrives on Tuesday - I’ll probably want to spend a few weeks with it before swapping but let’s discuss later in Jan.  

Sounds like a plan. I will post my impressions of the Teddy Pardo. It should be here either today or Monday.

16 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Way to go !

Do you watch DTV using your Audio system , or rely on your TV's usually crappy tiny speakers, with typically cheap and nasty generic  Class D amplifiers to drive them ?

My TV setup is completely separate from my 2 channel setup. I am not interested in discussing the TV setup as that is a whole different can of worms. 

Okay, after 2 hours of burn in time, the Teddy Pardo power supply has improved the sound quality of my setup. I knew that the sound was better almost immediately but I wasn’t able to put my finger on the how.

Then, listening to Norah Jones’ “Come Away with Me” and “Don’t Know Why” it became clear. There was a reduction in sibilance that made her voice easier to listen to even at higher volume settings. Also, that tendency for voice to sound a little nasally was gone.

I then listened to my 24/176.4 version of Reiner’s “Scheherazade”. It sounded smoother with no trace of sibilance. I can’t believe this piece was recorded in early 1960!

I can’t wait for the Teddy Pardo power supply and Lush USB cable to burn in as they both are reputed to need 100 hours or so to sound there best. 

I will verify this not expectation bias in a couple of weeks. Of course, I should be getting my new custom built preamp around that time. More to test!