IGNORED

Can you recommend an amplifier for under $500 / £500?

kirkmc

In that price range most people start looking at powered speakers, direct from their PC or via a DAC with preamp, or they buy much lower-end amps than are being discussed here so far. In this price range you'll find built-in Bluetooth, but I doubt you'll find AirPlay. I've seen small inexpensive AirPlay receivers out there; most are intended to add AirPlay to active speakers.

After experimenting with small active speakers for a space-challenged desktop setup, I went with passive speakers and an SMSL A2 TDA7492. The SMSL is very good for the very low price, with tone controls and a line-level subwoofer output. No Airplay, and I don't further munge up my music with Bluetooth, but I think SMSL has some Bluetooth products out there.

I've placed an order for a Pro-Ject Amp Box S2, which seems to also have a subwoofer passthrough and may have a different sound worth paying a European price over China options, but it is otherwise is a much simpler product than the SMSL. Simple can be a virtue though, for example when you want to switch everything via a powerstrip: the SMSL amp's volume resets when I cycle the power instead of pushing the amp's own power button (which only puts it in standby). Some say the SMSL has a warm sound, and they might find the Pro-Ject cooler. When I have the second box in place, I'll do a listening comparison.

I think by now I've convinced most readers to avoid my world and go with powered speakers plus an AirPlay receiver, no?

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

59 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

I recommend you have a look at Nene Valley Audio. They are based in the UK and offer a full money back guarantee. All of my amplification, speakers, interconnects and speaker cables are from that company.

Have a look at this, which retails for £400: https://www.nvahifi.co.uk/ap20-integrated-amplifier/ 

NVA offers an incredibly transparent, natural presentation. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Wow! Excellent value. Quality at direct-sale prices. Very interesting designs, and a very interesting designer.

2 hours ago, kirkmc said:

Thanks for all the recommendations, even if many of them are way above my budget. :-)

I may go for this, if I can find a discount on black Friday:

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n803d/index.html

It's currently £699, but it might be £100 off or so. 

And, no, it's not an audiophile brand, but I find that Yamaha stuff sounds good, and is reliable. It's got all the connections I need, and it'll probably sound better than the one I have currently (which cost around £200). 

It's hard to go wrong with Yamaha, even after all these years. Certain audiophiles just need to get over it.  Good luck finding that brand-new model at a discount though. We'll be cheering for you.