IGNORED

Can Computers "Influence" SQ?

48 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

The OP is using a laptop (Macbook Pro), not a PC, so many of the suggestions in this thread won't help.

One other possible problem is that the OS is resampling the output if iTunes is being used for playback and the audio settings don't match what the DAC can support. There doesn't seem to be anything in the H90 manual about what it's internal DAC is and what sample rates are supported.

In this context, a Mac is a PC and just as noisy.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

18 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Of course it is and a laptop is probably even noisier than a desktop due to the components packed into a more confined space.

My point is that the OP's computer is not a desktop PC and what you can do to the hardware itself to limit noise is extremely limited.

Oh, OK. I agree with that completely.

Forrest:

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

In  which case, it would appear that the only avenue open to him, assuming that he is using USB  , and not Optical Output, is to use improved USB cables, USB  Regens etc. and high quality external USB PSUs.

Or some networked device such as a Sonore microrendu or HQPlayer NAA, which is after all, some of the reasoning behind them.

Forrest:

14 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Agreed, but let's not suggest that he spends too much money at this stage .

The OP may needs to start off slowly with this rather steep learning curve ?

Too much money or learning? You are suggesting the OP to learn about power supplies and buy one/some. My suggestion can be as low as $100-150 for a nearly plug and play device:

https://allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html

I am not saying one ought to do this, but it might be an option depending upon their situation. It also is cheaper and easier to get power supplies later with smaller devices like these.

Forrest:

12 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Good idea. His amp already supports UPnP/DLNA streaming so he doesn't need to spend anything to try this.

Perfect then!

Forrest:

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

No. I am suggesting that he should do a lot more research before jumping in , perhaps reading some of the numerous posts and explanations by people like John Swenson in the Uptone and other forums.

Is his presumably SMPS supply capable of being earthed at the  0volts rail for example ?

If so, that would be a very cheap tweak to try.

Kumakuma has it, send right to the amp over the network. If that works, they are all set with a nice upgrade path if desired.

Forrest:

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

No. I am suggesting that he should do a lot more research before jumping in , perhaps reading some of the numerous posts and explanations by people like John Swenson in the Uptone and other forums.

Is his presumably SMPS supply capable of being earthed at the  0volts rail for example ?

If so, that would be a very cheap tweak to try.

It's a lap top, I assume the OP has run off of just the battery, if not that should be tried as well.

Forrest:

Just now, kumakuma said:

This may or may not be true. You have no way of knowing this based on the facts presented.

I agree.

Forrest:

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

You are assuming that he doesn't have any other SMPS powered devices plugged in, such as a CD/DVD player etc.

Any SMPS powered device, even including LED lighting, a TV or STB, can cause audible SQ degradation.

If I understand, you are suggesting they mind their power in general, and I agree. I still agree with kumakuma's suggestion first. It is simple and tells a lot for little.

Forrest:

11 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I  was suggesting that he read the thread at the attached link, where he would learn more about the problem, NOT race out and spend money.

At this point, the OP is questioning the computer, but it could easily be something else. If it still occurs over the network, all things USB are off the table. Optical has it's own issues and I don't recommend it unless they use a real glass cable. Those aren't cheap either.

A good test IMO. It has nothing to do with my own preferences. I am an outlier. LOL

Forrest:

27 minutes ago, sandyk said:

A decreasing voltage from using battery for hours at a time won't help with system stability, and should be a short term solution only , and as a guide as to finding where the problem originates. 

Precisely, and if I understand it, this is the purpose of this thread. If you are suggesting the OP modify theirs, I cannot get behind it at this stage. Sadly david256 could be right, it might be the DAC.

Forrest:

6 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I couldn't find anything on the DAC that's in the Hegel amp suggesting that it's nothing special. The OP would probably do better with a standalone DAC.

It could easily be DAC essing/sibilizing from what the OP described.

Forrest: