IGNORED

Anyone use equalizers?

3 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

and "transparent, high resolution" gear makes "awful recordings" worse! :D

Perhaps, it would be more correct to say that ""transparent, high resolution" gear often makes "awful recordings" worse. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

19 minutes ago, lucretius said:

That's the current culture, anyway.  I remember a day when equalizers were popular. And I still see them in studios.

My post was about tone controls on preamps or integrated amps, not equalizers in studios. But tone controls were common many years ago, before their deleterious effect on sound quality was generally appreciated, especially in regard to phase.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 10/25/2017 at 7:52 AM, Samuel T Cogley said:

And it's the additive euphonic colorations that are the domain of high end analog interconnects.  They really can and do change the sound depending on the gear on each end of the cable.

I'm sure that you also realize that a change of sound that follows changing the gear on one or both ends of the cable may be a desirable attribute, unless that gear all sounds the same. It''s called transparency, which is anything but additive coloration.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Allan

I haven't seen any references to a "standard" input impedance of around 10kohms, and it seems highly likely that a relatively low 10k input impedance which suits many Power Amplifiers for technical reasons , is unlikely to be optimum for most PreAmplifiers that receive their Input from a cheap opamp in a DVD player etc.

Therefore, it is highly unlikely that you will find a universal "transparent" interconnect.

Regards

Alex

Alex

You are right. I am not suggesting that there is a "universal" one. Like most things in audio, it is system dependent. I was contrasting "euphonic" with "transparent", which are very different results when the sound produced through interconnects changes when the gear changes. The former detracts from accuracy, while the latter fosters it. As you know, the goal in choosing and matching components is synergy.

Regards,

Allan

On 10/28/2017 at 8:42 AM, Samuel T Cogley said:

Unpacking the "generally accepted" bit a little, you mean, "believed by real audiophiles".

Sounds like a distinction without a difference to me. Are you trying to act out your membership description? :)