IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

Just now, fas42 said:

The "objective standard" is that the playback system does not contaminate what is on the recording to an audible degree - two system, totally different in how they they have been assembled, play a particular recording behind a concealing curtain. In an AB test, they should be close to impossible to pick apart, if both are functioning correctly.

Sure. That's a lovely sentiment. If you think it's anything more than a sentiment, try reconciling reality with your point of view.

Just now, fas42 said:

Fair enough :).

The need for people to have others think the same as they do themselves is very strong ... otherwise, it introduces the troubling possibility that they may possibly not be totally right about everything ...

Yes. The need to be right about everything and the Internet were born on the same day ;-)

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I have.

I'm on the right course..

I've made a "thing" of modifying...

I have a very clear idea...

I'm not talking about *you*. I'm talking about people who try to extrapolate from talking about themselves, to creating rules for everyone else.

You are on the right course....for *you*. If you think it's anything more than that, this is where we disagree.

Just now, fas42 said:

So, you believe it's part of the natural order of things that systems should all sound different; that's it's inevitable for a system to colour playback to a significant, subjective degree?

So, you think you can deduce my beliefs about hi-fi after a couple of exchanges here? And you can do so without even considering the idea that you may not have all of the answers?

I'll say this - I do not understand your question ;-)