IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Anecdotal evidence was not used for my original reports about files with identical check sums sounding different.

It was verified using DBT, by a highly experienced E.E. and technical writer, as well as a very respected Recording and Mastering Engineer who was virtually hounded out of this forum by the usual suspects.

ABX results from a properly designed and proctored test, or it's anecdotal.

Engineers  developed mpeg 4. It is Engineers that implemented the changes thinking that the General Public wouldn't notice the obvious degradation with both Audio and Video. ...

Indeed, engineers developed it. But it was management who seized the opportunity to use it to cram more channels into the same bandwidth.

Incidentally, I have heard the high quality AM mono feeds from our national broadcaster, as sent from Sydney to further north via 15kHZ equalised cable pairs. It was very good quality through the Telephone Exchange monitoring amplifier, and most material was from LP and high quality turntablesi..

Progress ? I think NOT !

So have I. But I heard it on 15" Tannoys both direct from the desk and via the off-air monitor, not tiny boxes with 4x6" radio speakers in them (still have a telco monitoring amp as a signal tracer). And the "high quality turntables" had Stanton 500 carts with spherical styli. I think you're forgetting that the "good old days" weren't really as good as you think.

Granted, we thought they were good then, but we have moved on. Progress? I think so.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

7 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

The bottom line: If you call Michael Lavorgna a Liar one more time without revealing your identity, I believe their is a name for this.

It's called the truth. As for his identity, you asked first, you go first.

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

4 hours ago, marce said:

... the wife in the kitchen told me in no uncertain terms what I could do with a large studio monitor, it was not pleasant. :)

On the plus side, your flatulence would be more tuneful.

:P