IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

21 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Hi everyone - I presently own a T+A DAC8 DSD... which sounds best with DSD256 and ideally 512.  HQPlayers Sync M and Sync L are  the filters that I prefer, but they're CPU hogs.  It is not possible to convert PCM44.1 to DSD512 with Sync L on current hardware (although CUDA offload may allow this in the future).

Anyway, Austinpop stated on the main 'big thread' that terminator can do PCM1024 and above... and that the CPU requirements are much more modest for PCM upsampling.

So, would anyone with a Terminator be able to compare PCM256 with DSD256 and give feedback?

I would also be interested in what CPU's you use for HQPlayer and how far you can scale without dropouts...  I might consider Terminator if it is possible to do Sinc L on my 8086k CPU with these very high bitrates, but with PCM rather than DSD.

I think Terminator sound great on both PCM and DSD. At first I used DSD256 with sinc-s filter and ASDM7EC modulator. Recently, I upgraded my amplifier to Accustic Arts Power I and my system sound signature has changed. Now I prefer PCM without any upsampling at all. My previous amplifier was Rotel RA1592, which I think it is a bit too bright and lean. My new amp add warmth, colour and body to sound, and when use it with my old DSD setting I think the sound has too much colour. So overall I think it is system dependent. Hope this helps 🙂

My CPU is i7 10700k. I can run every setting in HQPlayer, but not EC modulator above DSD256.