IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

Pontus II FPGA Firmware Update
First thing yesterday morning was (once again) reading through the firmware update procedure. I connected the Pontus DAC and Mac Mini with a regular USB-2 cable. Went through the procedure, which also involves using Apple's deep level app, Terminal.

Everything went according to plan. My Denafrips Pontus DAC has been upgraded (EP4CE22F chip version) with the latest firmware. Plugged everything in as normal and played my usual test songs. Already on the first song I heard the difference from before! Bigger, wider and deeper soundstage. I memorized Vinshine's guarantees for the upgrade:

• Improved Adaptive FIFO Buffer & Reclocking Architecture
• Reduced the effect of Buffer overrun/underrun due to the Source's Clock and the DAC's Clock differences
• Eliminate Phase Difference between L/R Channels
• Optimized DSP to improve the sonic performance

Well, I can't say what each of these points mean in reality, but what I can say is that it has all been worth it! Better bass reproduction meant I had to adjust the subwoofer's crossover point. My previous complaints about the DAC swopping right/left channel, when converting and playing DSD - have been corrected! But the big difference is how the music is presented. Expanded soundstage, more refined center stage, the precision of each individual instrument in smaller ensembles, and of course - the totality of the overall musical experience!

PS! It has been my experience that Denafrip's DACs and DDCs perform better with a really good power cable - and correspondingly good signal cables (I've tested a lot). That led me to get the Denafrips BIC500 - a balanced isolation conditioner.

Tom 😎
Norway

image.thumb.jpeg.fa7c41167ad86db6f5e33fcd75193b70.jpeg

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent