IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

34 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Looks good! I need to teach myself how to solder already! No question that is a better way to do this DC grounding! 

Well I thougt this was a nicer looking way of doing it and no need to use a bunch of 5.5/2.1 adapters to connect a ground to the -0V. Now my Ghent cable with Oyaide DC plug can go directly in to the switch. 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
30 minutes ago, sandyk said:

It is my understanding that the original larger models did not have this protection.

According to Larry all 200W models have both overvoltage and overcurrent protection on all 4 outputs.

But then again all can happen and perhaps some failures were made by the users them self doing connections with power on and heavy load on the variable output.

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

For someone looking to see if their current switch (or existing router with built in 5 port switch for example) will do, how do we do a continuity check with a grounded SMPS and the switch?

It is not so easy that the -0V and the ground plane is connected in the switch. I think John found out that for example Netgear FS,GS 105 and 108 had a special connection on the filter/magnetics on the LAN ports that if you grounded the -0V that the high impedance leakage coming on the LAN cables and from the SMPS was shunted out to ground when the PSU was grounded.

So to see if a switch does this you must measure the leakage and that is not possible to do with out equipment that can measure that sort of leakage.

If you use a Netgear Switch of the models that John suggested grounding the -0V is a must either you use a SMPS or a linear PSU to get the shunt effect of the leakage to ground that comes from other equipment connected on the LAN cables.

Main system

Second system
Just now, tboooe said:

This looks really clean.  So let me make sure I understand what you did here:

1. Connect one end of a wire the base of the switch
  2. Solder the other end of the DC input barrel >> where are you exactly soldering to on the barrel?  

Yes one end is connected to the chassi and the insert so I have a place to connect my groundcable. 

On the side of the barrel there is a metalpart that is connected to the -0V inside the barrel so I just soldered on the wire there.

Main system

Second system
2 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Thank you...ok so dumb question...attaching the ground wire the chassis is just as effective as having it go to my AC house ground?

I have connected the insert in the chassi to the AC ground feeding my PSU otherwise it will not work.

Main system

Second system
6 hours ago, tboooe said:

ahhh...I didnt see that in your pics...now it makes sense!

No problem :)

This is how it looks when I got it connected in my cabinet. 

DSC_0013.thumb.JPG.acfafbb257b8163177ce22d4ce36dc8e.JPG

Ghent Canare 4S6 DC cables and Ghent ET02 ethernetcables. 200W HD Plex feeding 5vdc to ISP fiberconverter, 19vdc to router, 12vdc to GS108 switch (-0V grounded) 19vdc to NUC with Roon ROCK.

Endpoint is a SOtM SMS Ultra (PSU will be a Paul Hynes SR4 when it arrives, lost by UPS since 20th December).

Main system

Second system
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Adyc said:

Is it this switch I can use JSGT DC cable to shunt out high impedance noise coming out from the network?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BVYT3/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3L684QNZP40Q3&colid=2AHEGCYV5BU00&psc=1

Yes that is one of them. 

Netgear FS, GS model 105 or 108 will work. Just remember to not use ports next to each other. 

I use a GS108 and ports 1,3,5,7.

Main system

Second system
  • 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, buch73 said:

On the GS108 it look like to connections. 1 to the screw on board and 1 also to the chassis. 

You dont need to do it like I did to get the right result all you need is to do the connection on the -0V on the DC barrel and some how connect that to the AC ground from your feeding outlet.

I just made it easy for me and connected both the -0V and the chassi to the insert so I got a easy and good looking place to connect the ground cable that goes to my AC ground. 

Main system

Second system
  • 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, luisma said:

@octaviars reading your post I noticed the NUC is not shunted -0 grounded, I have the same NUC and I have been asking if it is a good idea to do it. Any specific reason why?

Thanks

I use a linear powersupply (4 rails) to power my network equipment and only ground the 12V rail that is feeding my Netgear switch to shunt noise on the network. Dont know if it will make any difference to ground any of the other -0V that feeds ISP fiberconverter, router and NUC.

Main system

Second system
  • 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, JanRSmit said:

Double insulated with a metal case? Please explain hoe.

Class II equipment has reinforced or double insulation. As well as the basic insulation for live parts, there is a second layer of insulation, either to prevent contact with exposed conductive parts or to make sure that there can never be any contact between such parts and live parts. The outer case of the equipment need not be made of insulating material; if protected by double insulation, a metal case will not present any danger. It must never be connected with earth, so connecting leads are two-core, having no protective conductor.

The part "it must never be connected with earth" often fails in a normal hifi system. For example if you connect a double insulated component with a RCA connection to a component with protectiv earth the case of the double isolated component will seek earth through the sheild of the RCA cable.

Main system

Second system
10 hours ago, Speedskater said:

No, that probability is taken into account when then unit is safety tested.

Well of course it is.

10 hours ago, Speedskater said:

The 'never' part is about modifying the unit by adding a ground wire.

Perhaps I should have written it different and as you write it involves any type of modifying a class 2 unit with a PE.

1 hour ago, marce said:

PE protective earth and return current paths are different. Protective Earth (ground as it is often called) is for protection only.

Yes of course but the idea of class 2 products and metalcases was good until they started using SMPS.

Main system

Second system