IGNORED

Mola Mola Pre/dac review compared to DAVE dac

Was interested in looking at the Tambaqui manual, but it isn't available.  Is the Tambaqui being sold by dealers yet?

Very interested in listening to the Tambaqui via ethernet (Roon).  Would use straight into Kalugas, which are truly wonderful amps.  Currently using PSAudio Directstream DAC straight to Kalugas.  With the DAC's latest Snowmass operating system, the Directstream sounds very nice indeed.

But given the comparisons above and assuming, of course, that the Tambaqui was optimized to work with the Kalugas I would expect more of all the excellent musical qualities of the DS.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

9 hours ago, Marcel073 said:

The Tambaqui is being sold, at least in the Netherlands.

Thank you, Marcel.  

I was wondering if the lack of a manual meant that Bruno was continuing to finalize the features.  While the Tambaqui seems to have the usual inputs, other DACs-with-streamer-support seem to be offering built-in compatibility with other streaming software/services such as Spotify (which my wife prefers). 

And what about the ability to upgrade the unit?  Since Bruno seemed to say the Tambaqui is good for 10 years, is the design static during that time?   As a big fan of Bruno's philosophy, aesthetics, design and implementation, I'm only asking to get a better understanding of the investment.

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Thank you, Marcel.  Didn't realize that he is no longer with MM, but he is in those peak productive years and clearly wants to expand his reach.  Good for him.  

I appreciate your suggestions.  I'm in the U.S., so will work with the distributor here.  Although interested, I'm not in a hurry.  But when I purchased the Kaluga amps it was with the thought that eventually I would add the Tambaqui.  Personally, simple systems appeal to me, especially when they deliver the kind of sound MM does.  

Marcel,

I had a DIY hypex-based amp and, liking that, purchased a NAD.  The NAD worked well with my old Bowers and Wilkins speakers, but when I upgraded to the B&W 803 D3 (which I consider a great bargain given their performance, which is worthy of the best electronics) I wanted to try a new amp.  After reading about all of the ones you mentioned, and not being able to try many of them without traveling to other states, it seemed best to purchase the brand that has worked.  

Much reading led me to the conclusion that Bruno didn't just tweak the typical hyper-based amp, but significantly improved upon the design.  Many reviews stated the excellent sound that resulted.  The Kalugas are in a different league than the NAD.  To me, they perfect what Bruno was starting to achieve with the Hypex modules.  

For the first time, I truly believe the amps will stay in my system until they don't work any more or all our equipment is replaced with a small implant in our heads, whichever comes first.  

The Kalugas are worth a demo in your own system.  While I hate the idea of expensive power cords, the Kalugas don't live up their potential with the included generic cables, at least not using the power I receive here.  Feed them well and they will amaze you (hopefully).  They do need to settle in for a few days and they need to be well broken-in by the dealer prior to the demo.  

Have fun!

Forgot to mention that MM suggests powering the amps directly from the wall, not through a conditioner, and that is how I am using mine (used the same protocol for the early hyper-based amps).  

Also, MM used B&W speakers (the bigger 802, I think) to demo the Kalugas.  Of course, MM has now used a variety of speakers at different shows.  If your brand of speakers have been used for demo purposes, that would be a good sign of compatibility.  

Marcel,

The Kalugas replaced a NAD M22.  NAD is very, very good for the cost, but not in the same league as the Kalugas.  Haven't tried the others you mentioned.  I have come to the same conclusion about system matching, therefore I'm very interested in the Tambaqui.  

Personally, I think that the whole systems in a speaker - like the Kii - is the future; however, I have not heard them (no US distributor I believe) or any such system, so it is just theorizing on my part.  The Kii seems to have added a woofer module that the bookshelf speaker sits on, which seems like a very good trend.  Hope your search goes well.  

6 hours ago, Marcel073 said:

I'm in the lucky circumstance that this Friday I can attend a listening session where a hifi-shop demonstrates the regular Kii and compares it to a set that includes the Bass eXTension (BXT) module.

Please let us know how that goes.  I understand your (wonderful) dilemma.  

1 hour ago, jtwrace said:

It's an amazing piece.  

Ok, that is a good start, lucky dog.  Hope you are having fun.  

Is this a demo with some hours on it or are you listening to a new one?  When you have a chance, please let us know how it compares to the PS DS (presumably with snowmass OS).  Are you using the ethernet input?  

Thanks for the pics and info.  Looking forward to reading more about your impressions.  Bruno's amps redefined what I thought was possible and seems like the Tambaqui will do the same.  

Was hoping there was a remote too, since my wife prefers that kind of control.  Not a deal breaker.  

Thank you, both.  Perhaps the app and Roon on the iPad is the way to go.  Good have options.  

All minor stuff compared to the sound and compatibility.  

Thank you, Marcel.  Seems you have narrowed down the choices and will be happy with whatever direction you go.  As we know, long-term satisfaction is the goal.  

Just curious:  what is the total cost of the Kii three with the BXT modules?

1 hour ago, jtwrace said:

As an owner, I agree with that.  

Wondering if it sounds great out of the box or needs a little time to settle in.  Also curious if you have tried inputs other than the USB since I intend to use the ethernet input.  Thanks.  

Since my personal preference is no preamp, and the Kalugas are working so well in my system, I find this statement from the Mola Mola website to be of interest:  This DAC, combined with a pair of Mola-Mola Kaluga monoblocks constitutes the finest digital replay chain available, irrespective of price. 

I don't attend hifi shows and have not heard competitive systems, therefore live music will be my reference.  

Wish the Tambaqui portion of this thread could be placed in its own thread...

8 hours ago, andervt said:

I compared the Makua/dac and the Tambaqui both connected directly to the Mola Mola Kaluga amps and a pair of the fantastic Swedish speakers Respons Magna Musicum.

Do you plug the Tambaqui and Kaluga amps directly into the wall outlet, or are you using a power conditioner?

• 2 weeks later...

Should have a demo Tambaqui this Friday.  Nice to have the long weekend for listening.  Will post impressions after it has settled in.  

Bill is a great guy.    

• 5 months later...
On 5/9/2019 at 9:17 AM, yyz said:

I also have used a DAC as volume control, Benchmark DAC3 into AHB2 amp, and I did not like it as much as using a preamp. Low volume listening was not the best. In the past I had a BAT VK-42SE preamp that I found was better than direct to amps. It was not as clear in sound as the DAC3+AHB2 but the low volume was better

It is interesting that the feedback on the Tambaqui as a digital preamp is not unanimous on whether it is better than the Makua. Two dealers are stating the exact opposite view points, one on this thread and the other via my personal correspondence.

Currently with the Kalugas, and previously with Hyper-based amps, I have found one strength of the brand is low-level listening.  Now, adding the Tambaqui, that quality has been enhanced.  I still like to crank the system (my wife thinks I will damage my hearing), but I listen at a lower level much more frequently than before the Tambaqui.  So much of what I value in music is preserved at low levels.  That is quite to my surprise and it wasn't on my wish list when shopping for a new DAC.  I'm not advocating for getting rid of preamps when they float your boat.  Our hobby is all about personal preferences.  Just mentioning this Tambaqui quality for those looking for low-level listening.  Of course, your speakers have to cooperate too.  

• 1 month later...

That is a fantastic deal!  Someone here should steal those now.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Matias said:

So what is the consensus for a digital system only: Tambaqui directly to a power amp sounds the same, better or worst than Makua+DAC module into the same power amp?

I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to point out that you can feed (copper/not fiber) ethernet directly to the Tambaqui; I don't believe you can do that right now with the DAC module in the Makua (although it seems to be a future goal).   That might be a consideration for some folks.  

10 minutes ago, barrows said:

My understanding is that the output stage of the Tambaqui DAC is the SAME CIRCUIT as that of the Makua preamp.

Another consideration:  The specs for the Tambaqui and the DAC in the Makua are not the same.  Theoretically, though I've not heard both, the Tambaqui should be "better."  

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Stereophilus said:

Firstly, the streamer input is clearly better than the other inputs.  

Nevertheless, unsurprisingly, I've found that cleaning up the signal before the input is beneficial.  Your CX must be doing that.  

Interesting that the two have slightly different qualities.  Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Stereophilus said:

I think the switch built into the CX is somehow optimised to feed an end-point renderer device (like the EX or a streamer), but don’t ask me how!

I won't, because if you explained it I doubt I would understand it.  :)    So many variables...   Is the eR feeding the CX?

50 minutes ago, presmara said:

I agree with Stereophilus on the difference between the Tambaqui and the Makua. I listened to these side by side a year ago using the USB input, but the Tambaqui was quite new and did not have a lot of hours on it.

In my own system, the Tambaqui sounded good with few hours on it, but continued to become more fluid over many, many months.  No complaints -- I enjoyed music the entire time -- but when it reached its high point (fully settled in), it became a truly exceptional DAC.  

I've never heard the Makua.  Since I didn't need its other outputs/features, I didn't pursue a demo.  Out of curiosity I'd like to demo the new integrated to hear how it compares to the Tambaqui + Kalugas, but would never  do that unless I was intending to trade in my separates (no desire to do so).