IGNORED

Ultrasonic noise in some high resolution downloads

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Virtually all ADCs use a sigma-delta (DSD-ish) front-end followed by a digital low-pass filter. At 176/192 kHz and higher output rates, some modulator noise is usually present at the top end, and this is what you're seeing here.

This is a valid concern. The obsession with gentle filters combined with the inevitable high-frequency noise often does more harm than good.

The main reason for using high sample rates is to ensure any filter artifacts are well removed from the audible range, and 96 kHz is plenty for this purpose. Since most microphones only extend to 50 kHz or so, and even that is uncommon, higher frequencies in a recording have little but unwanted noise.

My advice, save your money and buy the 96 kHz version.

Thanks for the clarification, mansr!

I also found some strange behavior regarding ultrasonics in the first track of this 2L-106 Arnesen album in DXD.  While observing the playback of this track with MusicScope, I noticed the ultrasonic noise dropping off abruptly at the 5:25 mark, then returns for a fraction of a second at the very end of the track.  It looks as if someone played around with LPF controls during the mastering of this track.

I suppose doing the master recording at DXD is also intended to support conversion to DSD for release?

Your advice is excellent indeed and I will heed it.  Even Barry Diament's fantastic recordings released at 24/192K show very little musical energy above 30kHz or so.  For a handful of 2L recordings I bought previously at DXD resolution, I will do offline LPF to get rid of the ultrasonic noise.