IGNORED

Roon Vs jriver

I use them in the following order: Roon, Foobar2000 and Jriver.

1. Roon because of the beautiful display, album sorting, relationship between the albums and Radio feature. Of course I have a Tidal subscription and it's linked so the intergration is an extra point.

2. Foobar2000 because it's the absolute tool for everything. Period. (exept for the album relations)

3. Jriver is a weird thing. It's powerfull but I think that the developers are the main problem. For example you can't sort albums only with the Album Name. I have a lot of compilations and they are impossible to manage. Imagine the compilation 500 Greatest Songs by Rolling Stone Magazine. There are almost 400 artists. I don't want to have "Various Artist" tag because there are no such name. There are Beatles, Pink Floyd etc. Also you can't have lyrics easily. And weird little things that are annoying. And in the video section for example you can't download subtitles easily and you can't change the mouse buttons. Little things that are very annoying and the developers are not willing to hear. I have made a lot of complaints but the answer is always the same. Use our way.

1 minute ago, jcn3 said:

This is not true -- JRiver can sort by any tag in your database -- including Album Name.

I wrote "only". It doesn't sort it with that tag alone.  Always includes the artist name. So in a compilation album you have a lot of "sub-albums" instead of the whole. And I gave you the example of the rolling stone collection. 

It's a major problem. I have the same problem on Android players. A few ones do the same thing. 

1 minute ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Also not true.  You are unfortunately getting deeper and deeper into the notion that your knowlege of JRiver is less than definitive.  Now, that is easy to fall into because we all know the learning curve for JRiver is not necessarily easy.  But, even senior citizens, like me and many of my buddies can learn how to make it work like we want it to.

I'm not at home right now. When I go I'll show a few screenshots. 

I included a typical compilation album. And I have screenshots from the three programs that I use plus tagscanner.

In general I think that Jriver is an excellent software. BUT I am used to something else in terms of support and customization. As I wrote before I don't like the attitude in their forums. If they listened us I would be much happier. If I didn't believe that I wouldn't have bought a master license twice. It's my main player in Linux since it's far more superior than anything else there.

roon.png

jriver.png

tagscanner.png

foobar.png

And Roon is not 100% perfect. Sometimes it does not recognize famous albums without any obvious reason. Even when I match the tags from discogs dB it fails. I have to manually search and match it. On the other side it has excellent filters so I can match only unrecognizable albums so I can see what's missing. 

Second it is a database and not a conventional player. So it lacks a file manager. I have three different hard drives with music. I can only filter the root drive and not a subfolder. So if I want to manage my Beatles collection I can't. I cannot choose D:/The Beatles folder. 

And the third and most important is the lack of Greek Music. It doesn't have a proper Greek database. So my music is in greeklish an without proper tagging and relations. And I have hundreds of disks in Greek and they are displayed in greeklish. So I can't search them properly because we have different alphabet than Latin based languages.