IGNORED

To dCS or to Sonore...To Bridge or to Rendu?

1 hour ago, unbalanced output said:

Not sure why the craze on the Adagio.  I've considered the Pavane myself, but the lack of higher resolution inputs was a big let down. I see you have a T+A DAC 8, do you upsample everything to DSD512 like everyone recommends? 

Buy one and you'll find out. Metrum make some of the best DACs in the World.

On 8/1/2017 at 6:05 AM, Madra said:

Suggestion 3: DCS Bridge

Initial reviews are very positive. Unless you want more than 24/196 and 64DSD, this is by far the most elegant solution: One box, regular power cable, network in, AES EBU out to the Yggdrasil.

Is that a joke? The DCS is stupidly expensive; there are very good one box solutions that cost far less than the DCS. Look around.

On 8/1/2017 at 6:05 AM, Madra said:

suggestion 1 (cheapest): Upgrade Yggdrasil to USB Gen 5

Initial reports indicate that this upgrade renders the USB input immune to what goes in front of it. This is a cheap upgrade and will let you simplify your system by getting rid of many boxes and PS. 

Suggestion 2 (more expensive): Try a good DDC

I helped a friend install a Sonic Transporter (roon core) / Micro Rendu system with the ifi power supply. The sound was a  major disappointment. We tested a couple of higher end DDCs ( the Berkely Alpha USB and the Soulution 590 USB and both gave excellent results, (going SPDIF into Devialet monos) with the Soulution slightly ahead. Adding a Sonore Signature PS did not provide additional SQ gains over the ifi PS. Both of these DDCs will allow you to connect via AES EBU to your Yggdrasil.

Suggestion 3: DCS Bridge

Initial reviews are very positive. Unless you want more than 24/196 and 64DSD, this is by far the most elegant solution: One box, regular power cable, network in, AES EBU out to the Yggdrasil.

I have an aversion to multiple boxes multiple cables multiple PS solutions. This has nothing to do with performance, just a personal dislike.

Suggestion 3 - where does the ST feature? You can't run Roon just on the DCS.

On 8/2/2017 at 6:45 PM, unbalanced output said:

If you're at TotalDAC and dCS level, there are some serious options to consider. Lampizator, Rockna and Chord are always top names to consider. Take your time to test and decide. I personally wouldn't accept anything on this level that doesn't accept DSD or DXD, so the Adagio may be a very good DAC sound-wise (haven't listened to it), however it is quite limited. 

It isn't 'quite limited' at all. DSD isn't all that and a bag of chips Girlfriend... 

On 8/2/2017 at 7:33 PM, unbalanced output said:

I didn't say it was not a good DAC. However, the Adagio does 96 through optical and 192 through Coaxial. If that floats your boat, great. But IMO unless one strictly wants to stick to CD format, one would be silly to invest that sort of money into equipment which cannot handle a studio-quality recording. 

ps. I never said DSD is a requirement for a good DAC. You're aware that DXD is PCM, right?

You do realise a quality 24/192 recording is insanely detailed and good right? Don't get hung up on a bit rate willy waving adventure please.

I am a self-confessed Metrum fan boy. For a reason.