IGNORED

Getting rid of CD's?

@Grayson64 I read your post as primarily being about storage vs the value / nostalgia of holding onto the physical copies. As such the ethics element is kind of a sideshow assuming you weren't looking to profit. Donating them to a charity shop for instance might be legally dubious but reasonable for the conscience. 

Personally I'd hold onto them as the physical cd is nice to hold/feel and may contain memories down the line that the digital copy doesn't. Also who is to know what format we'll be using in 10 to 20 years time and whether ripping again from the cd will be advantageous vs converting from FLAC / AIFF etc. It probably won't be, but who really knows. 

If storage is your main driver the advice around getting rid of the cases and keeping sleeves & discs is sound. 

FWIW I lost CD's twice. Once I sold loads. The other time I was burgled. I regretted both and ended up buying many of them again. The originals have sentimental value. Even if the convenience of browsing via a streamer makes playing the actual cd a rare event. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

34 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

It is not a hairsplitting, just trying to help OP to find a way get rid from a piles of plastic and paper and feel himself law-abiding at the same time..)

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. There has been precious little trying to help the op here and instead people preferred to have a lengthy debate about the vagaries of copyright law 

The Op simply mentioned "getting rid" of the CDs to save space. One or two posts pointing out the copyright implications made selling them whilst keeping the rips was dubious would have sufficed. 

The laws around this stuff are flawed and often unenforceable. I personally feel that it comes down to acting with good intent. 

Buying a CD, ripping it, then returning the disc for a refund. Bad. 

Keeping the rips you paid for but disposing of the CDs in the trash or donating to charity etc. Fine. 

Regardless of the letter of law you paid for those CDs are entitled to the rips and it passes a reasonableness test to me. It's moot anyway because it's not as if Sony are going to turn up on the doorstep and demand to see the physical copies. 

All the other hypotheticals and flavours in between are a sideshow. I'm sure the op gets it and it's their personal choice how to proceed. 

I already opined that I'd keep them for sentimental reasons and potential future use (most likely to re-rip to the next latest/greatest format). But frankly I feel that I'm in the minority here for trying to actually address what the op asked. 

I'll let you get back to the bunfight :P

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

10 minutes ago, ted_b said:

OK, here is where I respectfully disagree with your post.  The OP was clearly starting a thread that had issues, and he even mentioned them by stating the idea was "philosophical".  He wasn't just wondering about the idea of 1200 cds in a trash container.

Hi Ted, 

Firstly, I'd like to say that I  am a huge admirer of your work and posts. I have read many of your reviews and they have been influential in more than a couple purchase decisions. 

I agree that proving the provenance of digit ownership is an issue. Likewise selling CDs you intend to retain the rips of is morally dubious. And I agree that these are all very worthy debates. 

What I was in less agreement with was posts around if I have guests over and I leave the room/building then am I breaking the law. Firstly, jeez come on. Who is going to get sued for that. Secondly it's just not what the op was asking. 

The moral, legal, ethical stuff is definitely all valid and worthy of discussion. But so was the storage vs convenience vs nostalgia element and this side was neglected. 

Anyway perhaps I was too critical of the debate that did occur and if that's how it came across then that's my bad. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

5 minutes ago, Audio_ELF said:

Arguments around friends listening with and without you are just methods to justify copying CDs.

Nope, it's not. Friends listening to music on your CD in your house/car or your rip of that CD in your house/car is 100% ok. 

It only becomes dubious when you make or allow them to make a copy. 

3 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

As you hinting toward my post let me comment if you do not mind. I've been comfortable always with hypothesis which tells Western world not only appreciates, but welcomes the differences in IQ (small digits in my case). Not anymore?

Hi @AnotherSpin

Apologies if I offended you. 

I will reiterate my take on this. Basically act in good faith and you won't end up in trouble. 

Aquiring music files you haven't paid for, sharing files or buying CDs ripping and then selling/returning is clearly bad faith and you might (but probably won't) end up in trouble. 

Playing your own legally acquired music at home, in the company of guests or even letting your guest listen to (but not copy) your music. Regardless of whether you are present. This is still good faith in my book. The musician should be happy you are showcasing their music and potentially inviting others to purchase their products. 

How accurately the laws in respective countries reflects this doesn't really matter. It's about being able to say you acted reasonably and in good conscience. Beyond that its a purely academical debate. 

Just my thoughts and no offence intended. 

Anyway - gotta run. Sony are at my door and want to discuss the veracity of my NAS drive :P

1 minute ago, AnotherSpin said:

You didn't

:D