IGNORED

Getting rid of CD's?

Come on it’s a simple arithmetic ... 1 copy if a CD allows you one copy of the music.  It doesn’t allow you to distribute the music weather for profit or not.

What you choose to do yourself is between you and your conscience and the “copyright police” and courts should you get investigated, but don’t pretend that ripping and CD and then passing the CD on for others to listen to/rip is anything less than distributing copies of a CD.

Arguments around friends listening with and without you are just methods to justify copying CDs.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Nope, it's not. Friends listening to music on your CD in your house/car or your rip of that CD in your house/car is 100% ok. 

It only becomes dubious when you make or allow them to make a copy. 

Maybe what I meant didn't come across properly ... I agree with you ... but people were putting that suggestion forward as justification for copying!

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

30 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

How to put Grateful Dead into this scheme of things? As it is well know, they permitted to copy the sound from their shows from the soundboards in dedicated tapers zones and encouraged free distribution of the copies anywhere to anybody happy to listen.

It's there performance, they can put whatever conditions they like on it.

4 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Or, Radiohead were selling their new album from a website for a price selected by a buyer, including 0.00 as well. What about copying of this?

You can't (legally).  Same with CDs given away for free with magazines / newspapers or mail in offers.

Eloise

---

On 01/08/2017 at 5:42 PM, Albrecht said:

No, - I believe that that is incorrect. You have purchased a physical disc that is a copy of the recording and art work to do with what you will, - EXCEPT REDISTRIBUTE ON A MASS SCALE.

Incorrect ... the scale of redistribution does not matter.  Redistrubtion on ANY scale (even a single copy which would occur if you ripped the CD, gave the CD away and kept the rip is "Piracy".

Piracy however is not a term defined in law.

Eloise

---

On 01/08/2017 at 11:23 PM, DaQi said:

Great discussion going on her. Led me to thinking...

The law says I am authorized to make a back-up copy of my CDs.

So, if I, "hypothetically" (not saying that I actually do this), listen to that back-up copy - is that actually illegal? So, I am guessing that a lot of us here are listening to our back-up copies of our CDs and not the actual CDs.

Of course you can listen to the backup copy.  What you can't do is continue to listen to the backup if you no longer own the original!

At the end of the day though ... we aren't so much discussing what the law says as what people think is reasonable.  

Do what you feel is right; but don't try to justify it through manipulation of the working of laws.  I think we all know that the spirit of the law is that buying a CD (or paying for a download) allows you to have that music for you to listen to and play to your friends and family.  You may disagree with the fairness of the laws and the fairness of musicians and record companies; but in essence that is what the law is designed.  If someone else wants a copy of that music; then they have to buy it themselves.  If you want to get rid of the CD of the music, then if you are transferring the CD to someone else for them to own, you no longer have the rights to the music on that CD.

1 purchase.  1 person's copy.

Do what you want, but don't try to justify that its legal.

Eloise

---

9 hours ago, Jud said:

Quite clear in the UK.  Different countries have different laws.  Would be nice to have a copyright lawyer (or a few from different countries) on hand to say whether it would be OK in their particular jurisdictions to, for example, donate your physical CDs to a library but continue to listen to the copies.

It’s very clear in the UK, you are not allowed (legally) to make any copy under the current legislation as the new rules were found to be illegal.  (Yes I know, but the UK courts have the ability to rule new legislation “illegal”).

As I commented above Jud, as much as anything I was trying to go beyond what the law says (and I’m not a lawyer and definitely not a US Interlectual Property lawyer) and what is reasonable behaviour.

As I understand it US legislation and fair use allows you to make copies for personal use?  Well assuming that is right, I would hazard that any “personal use” would be defined by the use of the person who currently owns the original.  If you pass the CD in a form that someone else can use, they then own the original so any personal use would become the personal use of the new owner.

(Well that’s how I would see it, who knows if the courts would see it similar and be so reasonable!)

Eloise

---

Just now, DancingSea said:

While you may be technically correct, in practice, this feels overly strict to me.  If I'm at a garage sale and someone has a box of CD's for sale, I'm not going to call the FBI :) 

It is overly strict yes, and no body really sticks to it.

As I commented, to me “personal use” is the key.  If you own the CD then you can copy it for personal use, but if you no longer own the CD especially if you sell it or give it away so others can sell it, you are no longer the person who has “personal use” of the CD.

Anyway as I commented before, I have no real worry what people do, but if they ask the question, that is what I think is the correct thing and however people justify other behaviour they are breaking at least the spirit (or perhaps the morality) of copyright legislation.

Basically threads like this are people wanting to be told they can do things with a clear conscience.  Well no I don’t think you can sell your CDs, keep the rips and have a clear conscience.

Eloise

---

On 05/08/2017 at 6:24 PM, astrotoy said:

BTW, the author of a book or the artist/composer on a CD may not be the owner of the copyright.  They may have sold the rights to someone else, and they don't have the right to sell or give away copies of the book or CD without the permission of the copyright owner.

As you say copyright and ownership of copyright is a very complicated situation.  And even if an artist owns the copyright they may not have rights to distribution - often distribution rights are sold for a certain period to a record label and its then up to them to decide what to produce / sell.

I’m sure it’s not the only case, but I know of one artist who was (in the late 90s: having been “famous” in the late 80s - early 90s) “bootlegging” their own recordings because their record label wasn’t selling their music but they couldn’t legally goto another distributor.

Eloise

---

• 2 weeks later...