IGNORED

Great New Schiit (USB Gen 5 upgrade and Eitr)

23 minutes ago, liborio99 said:

If on Yggdrasil there is usb gen 3 everything works perfectly. If on Yggi there is usb gen 5 dirac doesn't work.

So.. then shouldn't this conversation also be held with DIrac support? Although ominously, they don't have an online support option. Not a good sign for a product...

In the FWIW column, I've dealt with issues like this many times in the past between 2 vendors. The most common outcome is  different conflicting interpretations of a standard. The only way to resolve is to report the problem to both vendors and have them work with each other.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 11/16/2017 at 9:25 AM, liborio99 said:

I used 3 different Macs, always with 10.11, Jriver and Dirac Live.
As I wrote more on, with gen 3 everything ok, while with Gen 5 Jriver works
without Dirac , with Dirac not.
But my question is: how can a hardware update be incompatible? the upgrade should be perfectly retrocompatible ??
And why does the software that works with gen 3, with gen5, can not work?

Standards evolve... options that didn't exist when  the gen3 was created may have evolved since and been implemented with the gen5. All manufacturers test for backwards compatibility but with so many manufacturers that usually means testing only with the most common products. There are also no guarantees that a manufacturer who coded only to the older standard didn't "step" on the newer additions to the standard with their product... it was free territory at the time they coded.

The question to ask yourself is whether  the problem exists if you remove Dirac... if it does then the conversation is with Schitt and Apple. If it only exists when Dirac is installed, odds favor Dirac needs to get their hands on an Eitr and patch their software.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

Standards evolve... options that didn't exist when  the gen3 was created may have evolved since and been implemented with the gen5. All manufacturers test for backwards compatibility but with so many manufacturers that usually means testing only with the most common products. There are also no guarantees that a manufacturer who coded only to the older standard didn't "step" on the newer additions to the standard with their product... it was free territory at the time they coded.

The question to ask yourself is whether  the problem exists if you remove Dirac... if it does then the conversation is with Schitt and Apple. If it only exists when Dirac is installed, odds favor Dirac needs to get their hands on an Eitr and patch their software.

Actually, I just noticed that you say JRiver works without Dirac, so in a way you have partially taken this step... the issue is very unlikely to be between Apple solution and the Gen5. However, Jriver is a 3rd party software with its own set of complexities. Can Dirac be used with the native iTunes app and if so does this combination work with the Gen5?  Need to rule out that this is a unique issue with combined use of JRiver and Dirac

Regards,

Dave

Audio system