IGNORED

Great New Schiit (USB Gen 5 upgrade and Eitr)

On July 17, 2017 at 11:00 AM, rikhav said:

A very slily question to ask, but better to clear a doubt

Can this board be used for non-schiit DACs to upgrade the usb interface ?

Not silly at all. Schiit sells a stand-alone version for use with other DACs. You'll lose a coaxial SPDIF input because the G5 converts USB into SPDIF.

George

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2017 at 11:00 AM, rikhav said:

A very slily question to ask, but better to clear a doubt

Can this board be used for non-schiit DACs to upgrade the usb interface ?

All you need do is buy the stand-alone Eitr box ($179). It converts USB to SPDIF Coaxial, If your non-Schiit DAC has a coax SPDIF input, you can certainly use it with the Eitr. 

eitr_front_1920(1).jpg

George

13 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I am a little confused about this though because I "believe" i heard that spdif is only capable of dsd64..i know schiit doesn't support dsd, but doesn't he still upconvert everything to hi-res that is higher resolution than dsd64?   (21bit or something?)  is Spdif capable of that high-resolution ?

I don't know about that. I care little for DSD (although I do have, and enjoy a number of SACDs, but that's not the same thing, is it?) and I don't think, due to the small amount of material available in the format, that it has any future whatsoever. 

George

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

so the yggi is below that?  What is max resolution of the yggi?

24/192. Higher is, in my estimation, just a way to waste storage space and gives no audible improvement whatsoever. After all, who can hear a bandwidth 192 KHz? Hell I find 24/192 (bandwidth out to 96 KHz) to be a joke. Even people who believe that there is musical content past 30KHz, 88.2 KHz sampling is more than enough. Now, of course if we are making recordings for dogs.... :)

George

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

my understanding is that it is not about the upper freq. limit of human hearing (whether sine waves or impulse transients) as it is about the ability to avoid effects from brick wall filters

for the record, I am purely on Redbook for the time being - my SACDs are currently lacking a decent player

96 KHz is certainly a high-enough sampling rate for that. I've made recordings simultaneously at 96 KHz and at 192 KHz. I've played them for many people. Nobody has ever been able to tell the difference. It's one of those things that people get hung-up on. I.E., if a lot is good, then even more must be better! Like the old Gershwin song says: "T'aint necessarily so!"

George

1 hour ago, loop7 said:

Since the Eitr then requires coax out, does that create issues as well? I only ask because I've read and heard "experts" talk about all the problems with coax. However, they also talk about the terrible issues with optical and USB. 

Looking for some clarity in the noise because the Eitr seems like a compelling upgrade in my system.

RG59U and equivalent Coax has a bandwidth greater than 6 MHz, and as such is better than USB (whose issues aren't so much bandwidth limitations as it is the way USB communicate with peripherals) and certainly better than Toslink.

George