IGNORED

How DOES the grounding boxes work?

Just now, mansr said:

Let's pretend this is true. What becomes of the remaining positive ions?

If you mean the excessive positive ions that cannot be stored my guess is that they returns the same way the came from. It will just be less of them.

There is a common knowledge with grounding boxes that it takes approx. 24hrs before they come up in full potential. In a grounding point of view it is crazy, but if you consider that tourmaline stones needs to be charged it make "sense" to me in a way. But I am not an expert.

🎛️  Audio System  

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

You can calculate the self-capacitance of a conductor based on its distance to earth. If your conductor is 1m from earth, then capacitance will be around 0.1pF.  10m will be 0.01pF. I assume you'll want to connect it to the same ground plane that the grounding box connects to.

Note that this will not do anything if your device ground plane is already connected to earth ground, but may do something if it's floating.

Well, since all my ground paths is floating it seems like an interesting thing to try. Thanks for sharing! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

Huh? If a substance is somehow made to release negative ions, there must be an equal build-up of positive ions within said substance. Where is it you suppose they would "return" to?

Well, then I'll guess that exessive positive ions will never create a problem, would they? If a positive charge must equal a negative charges the amount of positive ions will increase with the charge of the tourmaline stones.

🎛️  Audio System  

16 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Your box of rocks is floating. "Ground" not so much.

Out of curiosity, what perceived deficiency in your system was this bought to correct?

Originally, I just bought it out of curiosity. I actually bought the Entreq USB cables first, which I grounded to the GND screw on my AVM Evolutions integrated amp. Then I started to investigate the grounding boxes and built a couple myself which was never even close to Entreq Minimus that I eventually bought.

🎛️  Audio System  

9 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Ok. I was wandering what perceived audio deficiency would prompt someone to connect a box of rocks to their stereo, but mere curiosity fills the bill.

What were your DIY efforts? Like the original post copper stuff of the box of rocks business?

My DIY attempts was all over the place in the beginning. I started out with bentonite clay (cat sand) in a wooden box with copper plates and a speaker plug. My latest and best attempt (that I still have) was a 9v battery grounder embedded in tourmaline stones inside a pure silver box. Still not even close to Entreq Minimus though. ?

Here is my original drawing of the battery grounder. I just used bigger capacitor in the end.

9309a85b_Batterygroundtweak.png

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

So no coffee?

What difference do you hear between your DIY efforts and the Entreq?

Well yes! My attempts worked, but I guess Entreqs long experiances in the field pays off. I own a cheaper Aucharm grounding box and between my attempt and the Aucharm it is a close shot.

The grounding boxes sort of sets the music free, making it way more relaxed and natural. It is a very appealing improvement once you've heard it.

🎛️  Audio System  

11 minutes ago, marce said:

As I said earlier electrons in the presence of an electric field travel at approx 0.002mm/s, there fore it would take them, so in 20 hours they will travel 150mm (6 inch) so there are no electrons rushing about, so no electron pool effect. Discarding the way out stuff we come back to a wire connected at one end, which gives us an antenna. If you read the John Wu power-point linked above, we are probably looking at conducted noise picked up bt the wire connected at one end only.

Let's play with the idea that the wire works as an antenna. If the antenna drains positive ions to the tourmaline stones and gets stored there (due to equal amount of negative ions) inside the box. Is'nt that a good thing since the positive ions have no where else to go?

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Perhaps Cornan or anyone else with such a box might try the test and see what happens.

I will surely give it a go. However, it will not happen before Sunday in any case. I am leaving tomorrow morning and will be back Saturday night.

Atleast we can find out if there is any truth in the antenna theory that most disbeleivers seems to think or even know.

🎛️  Audio System  

1 minute ago, Jud said:

Thanks, will look forward to the results of our curiosity. :)

By the way, it isn’t that I’m a “non-believer.”  I don’t think it’s useful to speak of belief or disbelief.  It’s more just trying to think of what might be happening.

I will report back as soon as I've tried it.

Sorry if that came out wrong. I ment no harm with the word disbeleivers. It was unintentional.

🎛️  Audio System  

Cornan could also enlist the help of a friend. Arrange the equipment or a screen so you can't see if the wire is connected to the equipment or not. Listen to the music. Then have your friend disconnect (or not disconnect) the wire. Note if the sound is the same or different. Repeat 20 or more times. See how many times you got it right. Note that your friend will need to be good at poker ("poker faced"), to avoid giving any physical clues as to whether they disconnected / reconnected the wire or not. You might need to leave the room while they do it.

Considering that the Entreq grounding boxes peak their performance after 24 hrs this is not something I am prepared to do. It would take me and a friend 480 hrs to complete with confident result. Never mind the extra time changing the gears and the possible audio memory loss inbetween. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Just now, Speed Racer said:

What, does the box have to get charge up or get warm or something? If the box is providing some kind of grounding, it should work right away or not at all. I can't wait to hear the explanation for this.....

No the box does'nt get hot at all. I have actually never felt any changes in temperature on the outside of the box. I do shake the box every 6 months or so to reduce any plausible risk of saturation, but I have'nt actually noted any difference during the years. I just do it in the same consistent way as I connect and reconnect plugs a couple of times every 6 months or so and once a years treat them with Deox-IT. 

🎛️  Audio System  

I think this thread must have a Guinness record in the most amounts uses of the word "Antenna" by now! ?? I am going to test the antenna theory with the suggested method posted by @Jud on Sunday.

Personally, I would'nt mind if more people tried to find theories a little more outside the box so to speak! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

20 minutes ago, zilch0md said:

After reading only the first six (contentious) pages of this thread, I decided to add my two cents, which might already have been discussed on the pages I've skipped...

Having never tested an Entreq grounding box, myself, I can offer no opinion of their performance but, I think there is at least a possibility of adherence to fundamental physics.  If the Entreq boxes work at all, I suspect they are acting as electro-mechanical transducers via reverse piezoelectric conversion of avery weak current into a very subtle motion of the crystals.

This would, at least, explain how a current might flow from a single wire into a wooden box containing only tourmaline sand and copper plates (or silver plates).  I would think the design would be much more effective, however, if all of the tourmaline crystals were in direct contact with numerous, thin copper fins, instead of the far simpler design seen in the photos on the first page of this thread.

http://www.morgantechnicalceramics.com/media/4126/chapter2.pdf

Mike

Thanks for sharing Mike! ? Interesting thoughts. Actually I know Entreq Tellus is using thin copper fins inside the box as well as Copper- and Silver bars. 

🎛️  Audio System