IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

12 minutes ago, Blade1001 said:

Hmmm, I don't really like the sound of this. I want a digital front end to be as transparent as possible ...

Precisely.  They should make this board a no-cost option to the existing model. 

Front ends:

Digital: Sonore ultraRendu or SOtM 200 ultra Trifecta --> LKS MH-D004

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC --> Rogue Triton

Back end: SMc Audio VRE-1C --> SMc Audio DNA125 Platinum Plus-->Stealth Dream v10 cables --> Ridge Street Audio Designs Sason speakers, dual Rhythmik F12SE subs

• 4 weeks later...

I read somewhere that the Neo upgrade costs $30 and the new (optional) faceplate costs $80.  The (sole, to my knowledge) US dealer just quoted me a flat cost of $200 without further explanation.  Did SOtM decide to raise the price and make the new faceplate mandatory?

Front ends:

Back end: SMc Audio VRE-1C --> SMc Audio DNA125 Platinum Plus-->Stealth Dream v10 cables --> Ridge Street Audio Designs Sason speakers, dual Rhythmik F12SE subs

• 5 months later...
13 minutes ago, gordec said:

Thanks. I'll probably do that if wifi sounds better than even ethernet. I hope it will be fast enough to stream DSD. I only have DSD64 nothing higher. 

Are MoCa adapters an option for you?  Might be your best bet.

Front ends:

• 4 months later...

I've spent nearly 60 hours trying to update my firmware to 0.4.59.  I'm having to use the "recovery instructions" because updating through enuhasu freezes at 92% and won't finish.

I've gone back and forth with engineers at Passmark about why the image won't write, and one engineer noticed from my screenshot that the .img file is almost the same size as the zipped file.  He said when he unzipped the file it was just under 8GB.

So, can someone here please tell me the size of the 0.4.59 file after unzipping, and what Windows software you used to unzip?  I've used WinRAR, WinZIP, adn 7-ZIP, and they all unpack the file from 2.64GB to 2.68GB.

Thanks,

HC

Front ends:

I apologize for not following up on this.  Last night I finally found the solution.  In my case, the file had to be unzipped twice - once with  WinZIP and once with 7-ZIP.  I don't understand how this circumstance occurred, but I'm very happy to have stumbled on the solution.  It was so frustrating I actually made a youtube video to spare others who may run in to the issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty_HN2gqJtQ

Octaviars, very interesting about the browser making a difference.  As it happens, I use Firefox almost exclusively.  I wonder why the browser would make a difference.  Any ideas?

I haven't listened to the 200ulta with the new firmware, but I believe I recall someone here mentioning minor sonic improvements with a prior upgrade (0.4.5 maybe?) a few months ago, so I'm looking forward to an hour with my digital setup later today. :)

Thanks again for the assist, guys!

Front ends:

• 10 months later...

Hi there.  You may find some useful information in the "network bridging" section of this thread:  https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?tab=comments#comment-613370

Good luck!

Front ends: