IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

On 8/18/2017 at 10:41 PM, ducatirider said:

What sounds better?  Adding tx-USBUltra to the regular SMS-200  or getting the SMS-200Ultra?

Ive treid them both. The combination with a SotM 200 and TX usb ultra is a great update. After consulting May from Sotm she advised me the SotM 200 ultra because of a cleaner performance and the possibility with one power supply with Y connection cable so you can feed them both.

Ive got the SotM 200 ultra now for onlu one day.. with the power supply of SotM it had to burn in for at least 200 hours..

On 8/21/2017 at 10:57 PM, zoltan said:

I have one of the 9V units. It's actually one of the first few ever sold, it is a demo unit from Munich. They did the demo with 9V units (4 units to be precise). If the 12V unit sounded better, they would have brought those or in fact, they would probably make 12V units only. As far as I understand, they offer the 12V units because some people already have 12V good power supplies they may want to continue using. I have never heard that anyone A/B tested the two units with different voltages and one sounded better than the other. Since the clock board inside can only take 9V max, there must be a DC-DC converter inside, so the unit still works with 9 Volts (this is an assumption btw). 

One of the advantages is a Y cable to drive Mytek brooklyn and a SotM 200ultra together with one power supply of 12v. It s a way to spare a dime..

• 3 weeks later...

I,ve bought a couple of days ago my sotm 200 ultra. In my gear it really sounds perfect. According to May Park the neo has more mid and extra low bass. But less highs and dynamics. In my set thats the perfect combination with the mytek brooklyn+. In my room extra bass leads to acoustiq problems so im happy with this combi together with the sps500 power supply. A better match will be the tx bultra thats a step forward i will take in a couple of months..

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations dbq, a great choice! In 12v the burn in time will be fast! 5-6 hours of playing time. After that you wont hear the difference between 9 or 12v . Simple reason SOtM it selves demonstrates with 9 volt at fairs etc. Though a extra power supply is recommended! I suggest SOtM own sPS500 because of a trifecta with the tx ultra b is you want this in the near future.  A cheaper considering is the Sbooster 9 or if you insisted 12volt. Have a happy music listening!

1 hour ago, tedwoods said:

Well, I have good news and bad news...?

The bad news is that my dealer has kindly asked me not to disclose any pics or specific values, etc... and I have to respect that.

The good news is that the mod is pretty easy to do.

Two solder joints and you're good to go.

The differences between the two models are pretty subtle: the bass has more oomph but its always tactile, never overpowering and the treble seems a bit more intergrated in the mix.

In the old sMS, hi-hats and cymbals in particular could in some recordings sound a bit detached, which could be mistaken for added treble dynamism.

In the "Neo" the cymbals are positioned better in the mix and closer to the drum kit, as they should be.

I also want to be emphatic on this one: There is no detail loss!

All the familiar fine detail and subtle nuance the SOtM gear is renowned for is there in spades!

The mids in voices and guitars also sound a bit more fleshed out.

In layman's terms, the "Neo" could be described as sounding a tad sweeter...

The old sMS seems like proper English with a few colloqualisms thrown in, while the "Neo" is "Queen's English" all the way..?

Given the simplicity of the mod and its low cost, I'd say go for it!

I'm listening to the "Land of Grey and Pink" right now and it's absolutely gorgeous sounding!

Hallo, you’ve made a great step in ultimate performance. The question is hard to answer. Ive tried them both and i endend up with a sms 200 ultra. Thats also a fine match to look at. Its also somewhat better than the sms 200. But the sms 200 is great value for the money. And it,s sure coming close...

Hallo, thanks for sharing your motiv,s. I understand it compleetly. Yes be aware that de SQ of a SMS200 combined with the TX-usb ultra is already a great upgrade.

In my comparason i started with the Tx-usb and a Sms200 witch was recommended by a friend with the same combination. It sounded awsome.

After that my dealer advised me to go for the SMS200 ultra only with a SPS500 powersupply.. That wasn,t as musically as the Sms200/TX-USB combination in my opinion (after ive already ordered it at gave it time to burn in for more than 200-300 hours)..

At the moment i,m playing again with the extra Tx-usb in the system and my feeling says its slightly better than the first opion. I,m really happy now.

Conclusion in your case i think The SOtM 200 is the best opion expeccially combined with the great powersupply.

PS Don,t let youre self fooled bij the 12v option. It,s possible but the 9v is recommended by SOtM itself and they a playing in the 9v mode on summits for the right reason. Goodluck with your decision.

along with the tx usb ultra and later on the sms200 ultra with the tx usb. Believe me no mods a necessary to have a great improvement in sound.

its just simple put the usb cable from the sms 200 to the usb txultra and put again a usb cable from the tx usb to your dac. The internal clock works even if you have a standard version without an extra clock input. Exept other clocks cannot easily fitted.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, astrostar59 said:

A few questions on the SOtM 200 Ultra Neo set.

1. Does the Room Core need to be on a dedicated server? i.e.. not a work Mac.

I have a setup where I can use an optimised Mac mini with Uptone 12V mod just as Roon Core,

or an iMac that I use to do work on. If there is a degrade in sound I would of course use the Mac mini.

2. Do you get as good or better sound quality running your library off an external SSD or NAS v using a large SD card sat in the 200 (with the system on and music files as well)?

3. What SQ jump do you get with the USB Tx v the external clock unit? 

Dear Astrostar; my advise is;

1.yes, because of the working processors dedicated is better.

2. I think your first option is the best.

3. It depands if you have a sotm switch or a clock connection on your sotm200ultra.. 

1 hour ago, astrostar59 said:

Thanks for that good advice. My system idea would be:

Netgear router with fibre optical 600mps > Ethernet 1000 base T > Mac mini with 12v DC mod running Room Core > SOtM 200 Ultra Neo with attached ext SSD > USB > DAC input.

I would use the SOtM 500 power supply, and possibly the external clock. The whole system is run off the PS Audio P10 power regenerator.

My question is then, would the external clock improve sound quality much? Or is the USB Tx more effective. The clock is expensive, thus my question.

Hallo Astrostar, an excellent idea, the tx ultra is a very good improvemd, so is the sps500 a great update! With different clocksettings ihave no personel experience with that but consider and try sNH-10g switch from SotM, you be amazed. The sNh10g is already sfp proven for your NAS or for your switch self. Dont trow away your netgear because (don,t laugh) it wil be different if you put it before the sotm switch..