IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

On 11/07/2017 at 5:46 AM, ismewor said:

So far it sound impressive than the regular SMS-200. However, it is more than double the cost. And i say about 30% improvement over all. 

I think I agree with your assessment.  The Ultra is a step up from the base model however because the standard SMS-200 is so good it was going to be a hard act to follow.  Not that I would go back now as the Ultra has got a little more to offer in terms of detail and naturalness so you could say it's a bit more terrific than the SMS-200.

• 2 weeks later...

I turn mine off because I run it on a battery.  

I have the 12V version and guess that this is regulated down to the voltage range of the other units (6-9V) which is ultimately dropped to 5V hence the extra volts are dissipated as heat.  I measured the chassis temperature today and it was 40C.

It would be interesting to find out how long it takes the clock to reach it's optimum stable temperature.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the LibreSpot info.

I run mine using a HDD in a self powered dock connected to the sMS-200Ultra via USB.

Player app is "Soundirok" on an iPad using MPD.

It would be great if SOtM released more information with the firmware upgrades and made that available on their website.

On the other hand it's always a bit of a mystery what new features will become available when that little yellow arrow appears on the Setup icon!!

9 hours ago, michal1 said:

Hi everybody,

I'm interested in buying an SOtM sMS-200 Ultra but there is no way I can connect it directly to my router or ethernet jack in the room I'm going to use it.  My options are to either connect it wirelessly or use a Wi-Fi extender with ethernet port.  Does anyone how how is the sound quality when using the SOtM sMS-200 Ultra wirelessly or with the Wi-Fi extender?  And one more question.  Can I use an IPod to control it? Thanks.

I use a mains circuit ethernet extender to make the connection but I use a HDD in a self powered dock for my music library connected to the sMS-200Ultra via USB.  I find this sounds better than sending the files via ethernet.  

I can't help you with the iPod as I've never used one.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Pedro123 said:

Recently received the SMS 200 ultra + SPS 500 + tx USBultra. Right now am using it with a thunderbolt external SSD attached to a Mac Mini server with Audinirvana on a iPad.

I need more capacity and am now looking to buy a 2TB SSD. Wondering if any of you have tested the direct USB connection with the SMS 200? Is this a better choice than attaching it to a Mac Mini server or a NAS? Using a Apple Time Capsule as a router in all cases.

I assume if I go the direct method I will have to use a linear powered SSD with a SATA filter.

However, if using a MacMini server is not worse, can I get away with a SSD external hard drive with just basic power supply. Or indeed, should I still have linear power supply and SATA and attach it to the MacMini and eschew the direct USB approach?

For simplicity sake I was hoping that using the direct USB approach would allow me to eliminate a computer (in this case a Mac Mini). But am somewhat worried about placing the external hard drive so close to the renderer.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

By the way, have tested the SMS 200 ultra tryptich package and it beats Sonore, Melco and Aurender (including N10) in my system (a MSB + Raidho set up).

Pedro

I can thoroughly recommend the direct USB approach using a self powered HDD dock.  In my own circumstance I can send music via ethernet to the sMS-200 from my office PC using JRiver but this does not sound as good as the direct USB connection.  I use MPD and Soundirok on my iPad to access my hard disc music library on the sMS-200.  Keeping any other computer out of the system sounds the best to me and proximity of the dock to the sMS-200 is not an issue.

My current setup consists of the following.

Western Digital WD30PURxX 3Tb Hard Drive in a Unitek Hard Drive docking station:  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/262689747742?chn=ps&dispItem=1     (I actually have 2 WD hard drives so I can clone one as a backup using the docking station).

Zerozone 12V 5A Power supply:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/100VA-DC24V-3A-Linear-Power-Supply-Ultra-Low-Noise-LPS-for-audio-amp-display-/322110168168?hash=item4aff431c68:g:SBYAAOSwdV1XOTla

Curious USB Cable (500mm) to sMS-200 which is powered using a Optima Yellow Top 12V battery.

I haven't had a chance to try the SPS-500 power supply yet but the battery does a great job (including galvanic isolation).

• 2 weeks later...

@Pedro123

This is what I do.  Run MPD/DLNA in Eunhasu and have the library configuration as below.

LibrarySetup.thumb.jpg.c4aaf063ec9862a4e01fe28384a2ea3c.jpg

I use "Soundirok" app for iPhone/iPad which is a great MPD controller. I found the others a bit flaky.

In the Soundirok settings ensure the device settings are similar to the photo below.

IMG_0637s.thumb.JPG.2eb27d03a9024af82c60843081cdcdc0.JPG

Hope that helps as it works a treat!

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, guillaume31 said:

I do not know if anyone mentionned it before but I find it is an interesting data point: I am temporarily using a Gophert LPS which displays the amp consumption live, and at 9V on the standard 7.5-9V sMS-200 Ultra, I usually read around 0.55A....this is much lower than I initially expected.

Even when the sMS-200 Ultra is switched off, the value is very close to that.

That's an interesting observation.  On the 12V model I have the idle current is about 550 - 600mA.  It does jump up as high as 1.5A whilst booting up though.  The more interesting observation is that after switching the sMS-200 Ultra off, it appears to be still drawing some current.  I noted the same thing and measured 400mA even after the unit was switched off via Eunhasu.

Does anyone have an explanation for these observations?

Why does it continue to draw a current when switched off?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mfin said:

Well, if I have my power amp on, and nothing being fed to it, the dac can be off, the preamp I had before I had that can be off and then I plug a powerline adapter in in that room, you can hear in the interference it creates coming through as sound from the speakers. Keen ears can hear it from a few metres away, it's obvious with your ears next to it. Of course, it is only one amplifier, but that is good enough for me, and its entirely possible it is messing with lots of other items of the hifi kit.

I've also heard the effects of streaming through them, then eliminating them (in three different setups now) and it's been better without. Whether that is compounded by their presence alone as in my first para I did not set about checking, I should have.

Anyway, I've heard the above, and thats enough for me to dismiss them. Oh, I also tried two different makes as I had them lying around, same thing.

I use power line adapters to get my SMS-200 Ultra onto the home network so I was interested in your observation that they can introduce system noise.  I went to carry out the test along your lines but found that without a signal my Sanders Magtech and Maggie 20.7's are utterly silent and remain so even when the SMS-200 + DAC + Preamp are on.  So switching the mains adapter out created no detectable difference in the output of the speakers - they remained utterly silent.

@DrPo

- would I benefit from an SMS 200Ultra over the simple 200?

Anyone would as it does sound better with the flash clock, but the software is identical so they share implementation abilities.

- would an external clock help? 

You could add the SOtM clock but why not just go with the Ultra?

- would a LPS help?

Yes, SOtM has one to suit (though not a LPS), the SPS-500.

- is there a way to have a USB disk not powered by the SMS200 (or Ultra) itself but externally to reduce the strain on the SMS itself?

Yes - buy a disc caddy and stick your drive in that.

There is an awful lot of information provided about the SMS-200 on this thread that you should read if you have done so already.

You could find all the answers to your questions in this thread. Hope that helps.  :D

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, TopQuark said:

I hope SOtM will provide the option of selling just the power board and replace it ourselves. I have replaced mine before and it is very easy thing to do. That might be a more cost effective option than shipping the unit back and forth plus the $30 cost.  That way, we also have the option to keep the original or go with the new board.

+1

That would be an option I would be keen on.

• 1 month later...

I have two SD cards so that when an update comes out I run it on one card only to ensure there are no problems.  If there are I simply swap the cards so I can still listen to music.  After a few weeks of no problems I update the second card so I always have a backup.

The SD cards are cheap enough for this to be a good security measure and I highly recommend it to other users.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Nay said:

Does not seem to be much activity on this post for resolving issues i sent one yesterday with zero response??

You probably need to give more time for a response - folks don't check the site every day.

I too can't play DSD native using my Auralic Vega DAC, even though it is listed on the SOtM website as compatible - I think they are referring to the new model.  The Vega will play native DSD from other devices such as my PC just not from the SMS-200.  As a result I have to be content with DSD using DOP or get a new DAC!!

4 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I have used an Auralic Vega DAC (original model) without any issues whatsoever.  Native DSD256 and PCM384 via Roon Ready or NAA.

Is your Vega the upgraded version of the original as in this   

https://www.facebook.com/auralic.ltd/posts/dear-auralic-vega-dac-customerswe-are-more-than-glad-to-say-that-the-vega-dsd256/996095743792256/   or is it the original version?  

Despite the claims by Auralic on the Facebook page, they never offered this upgrade to Australian customers at all much to my dismay.

13 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Yes, my Vega is the upgraded version.  It appears you could have sent your unit back to China according to the terms of the Facebook letter.  

SOtM is not misleading anyone on their site by claiming the sMS-200 supports native DSD on the Vega.  If your Vega only supports DoP, which is all the original units ever did prior to the upgrade, then there is no way for SOtM to magically play native DSD.

Several Aussies (including me) tried to ship our units to Auralic to get the upgrade but they simply refused to service Australian customers until they had rolled out the upgrade in the U.S. and Europe.  Then they simply stopped providing the upgrade at all.

In the Auralic world only The U.S. and Europe matter apparently.    So lucky you!!