IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

I wouldn't say massive but it does improve my system by a factor of ~20-25%.  I have the 12V version and it seems that it takes a lot more power than the standard sMS-200 probably more than the rated 15 watts of the sMS-200.  The case runs a lot hotter.  It killed one of the slot in my LPS.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here runs your sMS-200ultra 24/7?  Mine runs hot as in painful to hold the top of the chassis for over 5 seconds.  I already burned the original power regulator.  It must be the sCLK-EX because I also have the standard sMS-200 version and it doesn't run that hot.  Thanks to SOtM for their speedy replacement.

I forgot to mention. Mine is also the 12V version. Just got a word from SOtM that the 12V unit will have some heat because of the sCLK-EX will be running 12V.  I guess it means it will run hotter than the 6-9V versions.

This is accelerated burn-in.  Burn-in time will take only 5 hrs instead of the usual 300 hrs. :D.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/11/2017 at 2:13 AM, ElviaCaprice said:

If you like the sCLK-EX in the SMS-200 Ultra, you would love it in the server.  Can be done far cheaper and better than any audiophile server I've seen.  Plus SOtM offers there own server but you can do better with your own mobo sent and modified by SOtM.

Just curious. Have you owned an sMS-200ultra?

On 10/14/2017 at 12:26 AM, TopQuark said:

Just curious. Have you owned an sMS-200ultra?

You don't have to answer this. I see from your other post that you have not tried the trifecta.

With due respect, please refrain from commenting on anything that you do not have experience of.  Thank you.

image.gif

1 hour ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Since my comments pertained to the sCLK-EX server (which I own) and how that if one enjoyed the effects of the sCLK-EX in their SOtM-200 Ultra, they would definitely enjoy them in a server.

Hardly see what your point is, other than to personally attack me?   You do not have the authority what so ever to say what I can comment on or not.  In fact, you should step back, with due respect and refrain from your improper comments here.

First off, I am not personally attacking you.  Just your statement.  Please read is again:

"If you like the sCLK-EX in the SMS-200 Ultra, you would love it in the server.  Can be done far cheaper and better than any audiophile server I've seen.  Plus SOtM offers there own server but you can do better with your own mobo sent and modified by SOtM."

...and this is not the first time unsupported statements are made in your posts.  In fact, I'm surprised you are in the sMS-200ultra thread that you've never owned or tried and tell everyone your mobo is better?  I also doubt you own the sMS-1000 and you are suggesting your mobo is better?   

I'll let others judge this.

2 minutes ago, thyname said:

What is the difference between the 6.5-8.5v, 9v, and 12v versions of the Ultra?

I am guessing only the former (6.5-8.5v) would work with Ultracap LPS-1?

The 12v is to better match the sCLK-EX that is in the sMS-200ultra. It was preferred for better SQ but the difference has not have been proven in A/B tests.  Regardless, you can get the 12v.  It is switchable to 9v by mounting a jumper to the board.  I believe the 9v can be bumped to 12v also but better to check with SOtM.

The 6.5-8.5v will work on LPS-1.

1 hour ago, thyname said:

I apologize if I was not clear.

Since I have the sms-200 coupled with LPS-1, I should get the 6.5-8.5v Ultra in order for it to work with LPS-1?

And if I do so, am I missing something by not getting the 12v version?

No, you are not missing anything.  The unit is selectable to all those voltage ranges:

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/sclk-ex-extra-power-input/

14 minutes ago, zoltan said:

Preferred by who? And if it was not proven in A/B tests, how come either one was preferred? Kind of a contradiction to me. Can you elaborate, please?

Preferred by SOtM.  12v matches the sCLK-EX in the unit better.  It's not proven in A/B test by most of those that tested it.  Each system is different.  Changes in voltage may be more apparent in one system than others.  You can check the 1st paragraph in the same link below about effect in SQ in changing the voltage:

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/sclk-ex-extra-power-input/

Of course, if you have a very sensitive set-up, you may notice it just like one's experience below:

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, thyname said:

I upgraded from the sms-200 to the sms-200 Ultra w/ clock connector option. Very happy I did!

Now, I got the itch for some more SOtM! What do I get? Tx-USB Ultra? Replace the LPS-1 now powering the sms-200 Ultra with a SPS-500? A Master Clock?

Here is my setup: Roon Optimized Core Kit on NUC7i5BNH ---> Wireworld Starlight Cat8 —> SOtM sMS-200 Ultra (powered by LPS-1) -->  Singxer SU-1 (powered by LPS-1) --> i2s --> Holo Spring L3 KTE --> iFi iCan Pro --> Focal Utopia

Might as well go with the full trifecta.  Since you are using ROCK, add a network switch with clock tapped from sMS-200ultra and PH SR7 to power them all.

Just now, thyname said:

You are speaking Korean to me ?

I already did the FS105 w/ John Swenson ground plug just for this. I get the trifecta part, but have no idea what the rest of tweaks mean

Did you have your FS105 tapped to one of the spare clocks in the sMS-200ultra? This is the switch mod in SOtM's website.  There are 2 extra clocks in the sMS-200ultra.  One will be used to replace the clock in FS105.

The PH SR7 is the Paul Hynes SR7 is the LPS with 4 rails - 1 each for the DAC, sMS-200ultra, USB reclocker (whichever you chose), and network switch.  If going all the way to PH, you might need few more rails for the NUC.  Perhaps another SR5 or SR3.

41 minutes ago, thyname said:

I had no idea this can be done. How do I do this?

also, the USB Ultra only has one clock connector, and I believe this is an input to connect the upcoming SOtM Master clock. No?

Ideally, when you purchased your sMS-200ultra, an option is to get the modded network switch at the same time:

https://sotm-usa.com/collections/ultra-series-mods/products/sms-200ultra-audio-network-player-mods

Since you have your own switch, it has to be shipped to SOtM for mod :(

If the back of your sMS-200ultra looks like this, it has the output for the clock to the network switch (the one that is wired) and a BNC type output for the master clock.

sMS-200ultra_plus_switch_back__1_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.fadbe8ca56ce2233e6f56493137064ba.jpg

That LPS will cost me a lot of money!

I know. I hate to say it but it does have major impact to the sound particularly if you are more after transparency, deep and open sound stage, and instrument position accuracy.  If just needing to boost the lows or highs and better musicality, I'm sure there are other methods.

When you say “whichever USB reclocker”, do you include ISO Regen, iFi iGalvanic 3.0, in addition to Tx-USBultra?

Yes, that is correct.  From those who have tried it, the ISO Regen provides more musicality and the tx-USBUltra, more transparency.  I have not seen a post trying the iFi with the trifecta.

• 8 months later...

I hope SOtM will provide the option of selling just the power board and replace it ourselves. I have replaced mine before and it is very easy thing to do. That might be a more cost effective option than shipping the unit back and forth plus the $30 cost.  That way, we also have the option to keep the original or go with the new board.