IGNORED

T+A DAC8 DSD first impression

32 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Exactly! Hyped = make something sound more interesting or impressive than it is via questionable advertising methods and exaggeration.

To be fair it did leave an Auralic Vega in its trails, and that is one fine DAC in itself, if previous generation.  Even I was suprised by the gap in performance.   

Just now, skatbelt said:

I thought you said you bought it second hand so it should already be burned in by now. I heard this DAC and as you experienced yourself, it is underwhelming with PCM. People like it because of it's analog like performance with everything upsampled to DSD512 with HQ-player via it's dedicated DSD electronics. I think this is roughly the same group that like Lampizator (for example). Nothing wrong with these preferences that but be aware that this group is after a warm, congested and smeared sound. If you belong to this group, your investment was probably a good one.

Warm congested sound?  Perhaps in your own setup.  It is strangely sensitive to quality USB feeds, though...

For what its worth I use a JCAT Femto USB card.  Previously i used an intona reclocker w/seperate power supply, which was a good step improvement.  The dedicated USB card with a half decent linear power supply stepped it up again.  Feed it high quality low jitter USB and on a good enough setup, it really shows.  Next stop is waiting for the Linux firmware and then trying an Allo Usbridge in NAA mode.  

• 5 months later...
On 19/09/2017 at 9:43 AM, sbenyo said:

After a couple of months playing with it, I am currently settled on PCM with PUC2 lite which gives me a fantastic sound, clear, transparent, balanced, with good lows, mids, highs, and everything seems to be in place.

I did not go for DSD yet as I don't have the right HW to do upsampling.

I also got a new ISO REGEN after reading so many good review about it. Unfortunately it does not seem to improve the SQ. Without PUC2 it may have a subtle improvements mainly on the lows. With the PUC2 is does not sound as good. The mids, highs are more veiled and not as clear and without it.

It will be hear more experiences with T+A DAC and ISO REGEN.

I've tried the Intona units which perform a similar task to the ISO REGENs.  I'm sure there are better units, but fundamentally they're all trying to recover and rebuild from what is potentially a poor timing source to begin with.  If you have the luxury of trying a dedicated USB PCIE card in your setup, do so, the T+A makes the most of it.

• 1 month later...
On 31/01/2018 at 10:41 PM, sbenyo said:

I finally built a computer for DSD512. I use HQPlayer with maximum parameters.I also have ISO REGEN.

It does sound better from anything I heard so far but I don't have the complete "WOW" factor others had.

It may be that I have to listen more to get see how good it really is. Anyway I am very happy with it as it is now. I am sure it will sound better as I get more used to it.

The DAC responds to really clean USB feeds.  Shockingly so, that it puts it into Chord DAVE category (no kidding).   I still can't believe how well it responded to the JCAT Femto Card.  Even the DAVE benefitted from the JCAT, which surprises me as I just fed the DAVE boring 16/44.1 PCM streams.

I'm of the belief that devices such as ISO REGEN cannot fully recover the original timing from the PC USB source to begin with.

But as with all things, your mileage may vary depending on the rest of your setup etc.

Normal PC's USB can be rather noisy.  Both the DAVE and DAC 8 DSD responded much better to quality USB fed by separate DC power to the dedicated PCIE USB card itself.   

According to your logic, both the Chord DAVE and T+A units are faulty... right...

Quite well established at this point that a typical PC's USB output is noisy.   

Timing can be impacted by packet noise.  See USB eye pattern measurements.