IGNORED

"Everything Apple"? iMac issues

I had a similar issue with a Mac Pro.

After resenting everything the problem didn't go away.

Solution:

Shut down.

Disconnect all the peripherals.

Disconnect the power power cord for about 20 minutes.

Connect the power cord.

Restart zapping P-RAM.

Connect all the peripherals.

Good luck!

Roch

7 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I just vacuumed the intake.  Where is the exhaust slot?  Was yours a 2012?  I have to cut a glue seal, so I am a bit nervous, and don't have the right tool.  If I open it up, I might as well DIY replace the power supply.

Edit:  I found it -- all along the bottom edge of the chassis.

Please follow iFixit instructions:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+Teardown/11936

Roch

9 minutes ago, 4est said:

That's a bummer. I miss the OS, but I do not miss their hardware upon moving to the Darkside for DSD512.

I stayed at 256 and happy, I use a PC like NAA, but that's the closest thing to WIN PC I've come to.

A friend built a WIN PC for 512, but since he lives a long way from my house I can not compare the SQ. So i'm still happy :)

Best,

Roch

PS/ Sorry Bill for the OOT.

10 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I downloaded the fan control app and set it to read the temperature from the GPU PECI and crank when it gets warm.  So far, I haven't had a power shut-off since I did this (and vacuumed the air intake and exhaust ports).  So maybe it does have something to do with over-heating.  

More reason to clean the inside of your iMac. Most of the time even the fan blades are dirty...

We want it opened. And inside pictures, of course :D 

Roch

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

I've opened up Mac mini and Macbook air, and (trivially) power-macs.  But the idea of using a pizza cutter to slice the glue that holds the glass and LCD onto the chassis is not something I feel like doing.  I would rather pay someone competent not to fuck it up.  I do most of my own bike wrenching, including hubs and bottom-brackets.  But there are some things I won't do, like wheel building.  A man's got to know his limitations.

You are right.  This side of the world sometimes we have to make crazy things, if we can't find a qualified and not too expensive technician.  We have two companies similar to Apple Store, but when you got a problem like this they want to sell you a new computer !

Roch

5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

This may be why you didn't do to medical school if opening up a computer is too much... ;)

If I were closer I would help.  Do you have a surgeon friend?

For an iMac you need a brain surgeon :D

Roch