IGNORED

Wireworld Starlight USB Cable

Has anybody else tried this one. I am very impressed, this outperformed a lot of cables for me. In fact, my DL-III actually sounds decent (not awesome or anything, but listenable) for the first time via USB with this cable. This thing must preserve the signal awfully well to sound so good with the (mediocre at best) USB interface on the DL-III.

Totally reasonable price as well.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I've heard that this is a nice cable, too. I'll be borrowing one next weekend, along with a Synergistic Research Tesla Tricon, to see who's cuisine reigns supreme. A local dealer has suggested that the latter "blows away" the former, but as you probably guessed, I'm skeptical of this claim.

I'll be running the cables between my Legato and my Mac.

I should take my Starlight down to PS Audios' offices and give it some shocks from the Tesla Coil there to "Quantum Tunnel" it!

(tongue firmly planted in cheek)

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

You really have to wonder if some companies hire their marketing folks right out of science fiction conventions. Whew-wee.

As for SRT cables, I've tried some, and they're ... cables. I guess they're good? Maybe [insert shrug here]? I think the whole powered shielding, or whatever it is, is just plain silly, but then, I'm also not a good Trekkie. "Tsk, tsk," I know. I'm trying, truly I am.

Given the length of coax cable standard on my Legato (16'), I can actually get a shorter USB cable upgrade over my Belkin. I'm also considering a highfalutin USB cable too, mainly on Clay's recommendation. He's a big fan.

I have the Ultraviolet (version2) however I was considering going to the Starlight until I tried Amarra.

Now I'm totally happy with my CA rig as it now sounds better than CD playback which was my aim when I started down the CA path.

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala

I haven't tried any of the uber cables from Locus, RSAD or, heck, anyone else for that matter, but Steve @ Empirical is a big fan. I'm not sure what the major difference between the cables can be, other than those super-expensive deals might possibly separate out the power and ground legs to keep the signal path as clean as possible. Unlike firewire, you can't short, clip, or ground out those legs as many USB chipsets simply won't work if they aren't present and functional.

That said, there are other offerings that don't go to this extreme, yet get good marks from users. Transparent, Kimber (the version w/o the ferrite bead), SRT, and Wireworld all come to mind. As to why a silver cable would be better than copper for digital audio, well, you got me. Maybe it's a quantum mechanics thing, like SRT seems to think.

Anyway, an upgraded cable is apparently worth trying out, and many are much more affordable than analog i/c's, so why not. Besides, Clay says you need one in order to get your DAC to work correctly.