IGNORED

Can't get 1 track to be included in with the rest of an album

I have an album that was recently released for free from an artist's website, so the tracks didn't come from iTunes. When I imported them into iTunes there was slight differences in track #5's meta data. (genre, artist spelling, etc.) I changed the info in the info screen to all match exactly for album artist, album, year, and genre, and I made sure that the "album is a compilation" box is checked. Track #5 is still showing as a separate album. Any other ideas?

A couple of ideas come to mind though you have probably tried the first one:

1. When entering the Artist name and album title for track #5 copy as much of the information as possible (artist, album title, etc) from one of the tracks that is working correctly.

2. When you bring up the info for that track make sure to click on the "Sorting" tab and check the information there to make sure everything is correct. Many iTunes sorting errors can be traced to this tab. I picked that tip up from one of Kirk's columns so if that fixes it he gets the credit.

3, Little things like extra spaces, adding or removing articles in some track titles, etc. can make a big difference in iTunes sorting accuracy.

I find that what often fixes this is changing the album name to something totally different, for all the tracks, and then changing it back.

Good idea. I did that once somewhat by accident. Almost didn't believe it when I realized it had worked. Wasn't really sure whether it worked or was my imagination.

Recopying everything did the trick. I must have had a space after the album artist. I should have known better. I have a web app for music album reviews that I built, and it happens a lot with the artist names on there. I have to go in and edit them often. Thanks guys!

Spaces problems drive me nuts for a long time. The other big one for me was including "the" artist field for some albums but not in others by the same bands. Sone album artist tagged "The Allman Brothers" and others just "Allman Brothers" for example. It wasn't until I read one of Kirk's articles that I realized how much iTunes relies on the sort field.