IGNORED

Welcome to Kirk's iTunes Forum

Good evening my name is Shaun Hutchinson I am a music lover and ex-Apple Employee. I play a nylon strung classical guitar badly, My musical tastes range from my youth of The Human League, Kraftwerk and Joy Division through modern jazz - Pat Metheny, Keith Jarrett, John McLaughlin and many artists on the ECM label, to John Martyn and Nick Drake also classical music - I'm a massive Beethoven fan, Mahler, Schubert, Sibelius, Alban Berg and Shostakovich. I also enjoy underground House and Techno which helps me stay up to date! My favourite conductor is Claudio Abbado especially the stuff he did with the Lucerne Festival Orchestra, I've become obsessed with Ronald Brautigam playing Beethoven Sonatas on a fortepiano.

I'm vegetarian and have 2 kids and just learnt to drive at 49 years old.

I live in Manchester U.K and really am only interested in technology if it is useful and can add positive value, I've been using iTunes since 2005 when I had a PC!

I have respected Kirk since hearing him on a podcast a few years ago, I was drawn to his way of looking at technology and his passion for music which is fantastic when most tech writers would probably judge a cuckoo to be a better singer than a nightingale! It was no surprise to learn he meditates and eats Apple Pie.

I have 67,000 tracks in my iTunes library about 5.5TB and I am obsessive about Apple Lossless files as they are the perfect balance between size and sound quality.

I've spent the last month working out how best to use my iPhone with a new Volvo v40 car, adding a wifi network to the car and being able to listen to Mahler whilst driving through the countryside.

I once pulled a plastic fried egg on a lead around Central Park for charity.

I hope I can add value here and meet interesting people.

Best

Shaun

Hi everyone! My name is Bill. I have always been a music fan, but once iTunes debuted, I became an Apple fan. iTunes has become a hobby for me. I'm a cancer survivor and a Cleveland sports fan; fortunately, I'm still cancer free, at least!

Thank you, Kirk, for the add. I have always enjoyed your work, and I enjoy the podcast as well. I'm hoping to learn a lot about iTunes here. It would take over 79 days to listen to my library; 42 days of which would be Pearl Jam. The band has released every live show since 2000, so I can appreciate the Grateful Dead followers out there!

When it debuted, I paid for Music Match - and I paid the price, re-assembling my collection with art work, album info, etc. Thank goodness I turned off the iCloud option when I started Apple Music. I do like listening to playlists, and I have found some good stuff (Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats!), but I buy the songs or albums right away and avoid the iCloud stuff altogether.

Cheers!

Bill

Hi Kirk and everyone.

Happy to have found the blog and forum, and nice to see a tech writer who has a genuine passion for music and is apparently as obsessive as I am with organizing his music in iTunes. :-) I also just started reading your MacWorld "Ask the iTunes Guy" column.

I used to be a classsical pianist and composer in another life, but now am mostly a teacher (monthly bills and a mortgage will do that). :-) I listen to music, mostly classical, both on CDs and in iTunes (and my iPhone and iPad). I'm now also quite interested in Apple Music.

Looking forward to all the future blog posts and to participating in the forum discussions.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kirk - I was reading your article "iTunes Overload" on Macworld this morning and found the other article about the iTunes messing up another user's library. I have been an Apple user and fan since 2010 when I purchased my first iPhone 4. I decided to go "all Apple" and bought a 2012 Mac-mini desktop after I discovered I could no longer sync the new iPhone 5 I purchased in November 2012 to my old G5 . My current accessories include the Apple iPad Air 2, Apple TV and an Airport (the $99.00 model) and of course an iPhone 6 Plus.

As far as the upgrade you mentioned in the "Overload" article the only gripes I had were after I had finished downloading the latest version it wiped out some of the artwork I had culled on the Internet and had manually added to each album. Also, my playlists were gone as well. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to back the copies of the artwork so it was just a matter of having to add the missing artwork again and resetting the playlists back to the way I had them before the upgrade. I agree the menus can be confusing; it took me a few days or so to get familiar with the new set up.

Joey

• 1 month later...

I'm glad to be here. As a longtime reader of your books Kirk, dating back to around 2000 or so, I've followed your page on the net. I've read your columns in MacWorld, and also discovered The Committed podcast. The forums over at Apple/iTunes leave much to be desired. I've emailed you with questions many times, and always gotten great responses. Thanks for this forum. Now why is it that when I click on reply, the previous comment is automatically quoted? I'm using Google Chrome.

I'm glad to be here. As a longtime reader of your books Kirk, dating back to around 2000 or so, I've followed your page on the net. I've read your columns in MacWorld, and also discovered The Committed podcast. The forums over at Apple/iTunes leave much to be desired. I've emailed you with questions many times, and always gotten great responses. Thanks for this forum. Now why is it that when I click on reply, the previous comment is automatically quoted? I'm using Google Chrome.

I think that's just the way the forum software works. To be honest, I'd expect that to happen when you click Quote, not Reply. While this forum software works pretty well, I haven't had the time to delve into it deeply.

In any case, welcome!

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

I think that's just the way the forum software works. To be honest, I'd expect that to happen when you click Quote, not Reply. While this forum software works pretty well, I haven't had the time to delve into it deeply.

In any case, welcome!

I just delete the quoted text as needed. Kirk. It's a bug for sure.

In any case, welcome!

I just delete the quoted text as needed. Kirk. It's a bug for sure.

Definitely not a bug. If you just want to reply to a thread without quoting a post, you just scroll to the bottom and use the text box there and then click, 'Post Reply.' If you want to reply to a specific post by quoting it, you click the 'Reply' button on that specific post. If you want to quote multiple posts in a single reply, you click the '+ Quote' button for each post that you want to quote, then scroll to the bottom and click 'Insert Quotes,' like I have here. It's fairly standard functionality in the world of message boards such as phpBB and Invision Board.

Definitely not a bug. If you just want to reply to a thread without quoting a post, you just scroll to the bottom and use the text box there and then click, 'Post Reply.' If you want to reply to a specific post by quoting it, you click the 'Reply' button on that specific post. If you want to quote multiple posts in a single reply, you click the '+ Quote' button for each post that you want to quote, then scroll to the bottom and click 'Insert Quotes,' like I have here. It's fairly standard functionality in the world of message boards such as phpBB and Invision Board.

I participate in many online forums/boards. None seem to function this way. I get it now, and appreciate the detailed explanation.