IGNORED

New to Computer Audiophile

Chris,

Here the layout. Fios internet comes to a main router in my basement.

Cat 5 is in most rooms. My office upstairs has an airport express hub which is the connected to the cat 5 wall jack.

The Imac and thecus are connected to the airport. My macbook will be used in my basement for the audio. the airport is working for wireless also. Don't use it much, but it is there when I need it. Let me know what other info you need.

Thx for your help.

Jay

Jay

OK we're getting there. How is the Thecus connected to the Airport Express if the AE is connected via CAT5e to the jack? Or did you just plug in the Thecus to another CAT5e jack? The USB port on the Airport Express will only handle printers. But the USB port on the Airport Extreme would work with the Thecus although not as good as an Ethernet port.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

OK, I thought you had the Thecus connected to the Express :-)

Here is what I did to set it up. Connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN port on the back of the Thecus. It seems like you would want the LAN port, but the WAN one is correct. On the front of the Thecus you can set the IP Address for the WAN port. Give the unit a static IP Address that is on the same subnet as your Airport Extreme. For example my Airport Extreme router has an IP Address of 10.0.1.1, so I set the Thecus box to be 10.0.1.33 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 10.0.1.1.

The little display on the front can be a little different to use, but once you have the hang of it you'll cruise right through it.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

I had to get thecus support involved. I had different IP addresses due to airport and caused problems.

I have the thecus stored behind an electrical panel box in my basement and u can't here the it.

I'm starting to move the Itunes files into the Thecus (N2100ms) media server addition. Do I need to take every song and import it? Are there other ways to move entire playlists?? Lets say I rip an entire disk, it seems I need to move one song file at a time. May be you can enlighten me. You have the better NAS, but moving files should be the same.

Thanks for your help earlier.

JAY

Jay

Chris,

I finally backed up a few tunes on n2100. A few questions foryou.

~Should the n2100 show up in itunes under shared folder along with other playlists?

~When I hit this folder, it won't open and says their maybe a firewall

~When I click on the Itunes (thecus n2100) server icon, it takes me to its own folder and plays through quicktime player.

How can i get it to play through Itunes.

Thanks for your help.

JAY

Jay

Hey Jay - The n2100 should appear as an iTunes shared library as long as you set everything up. You've probably seen this from page 54 of the manual, but I'll post it anyway.

iTunes® Server Setup

To manage your digital music and share it with iTunes clients on the network, click on

the Music button from the left panel.

You can use the WebDisk function to manage your digital music, or you can manage

through SMB/CIFS (see SMB/CIFS Setup section).

It should not play through Quicktime at all. Are you browsing through a web browser like Safari?

I chose to mount my Thecus unit as a hard drive and point my music folder there. I don't run it as an iTunes shared library.

Let me know if you've already enabled the iTunes function fro mthe manual. If you have what happens when you click on it within iTunes on the left side? The music should appear in the main panel like any other library.

We'll get it working right for you :-)