IGNORED

What's The Deal With Apple AirPlay 2

On 06/06/2017 at 4:42 AM, Em2016 said:

Any news on if it supports higher than 16/48?

I couldn't find anything yet.

I was trying to see if their new HomePod supports 24 bit (that would mean AirPlay 2 does) but their tech specs doesn't mention anything: https://www.apple.com/homepod/

Current AirPlay streams audio using ALAC at a fixed 16/44.1kHz resolution. Possibly the confusion comes from the Apple TV v2 and later that resamples the incoming AirPlay audio stream to 16/48kHz.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

11 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Good old Airplay allows multiple endpoints - I don't understand what you mean.

Indeed, though being able to select more than one AirPlay receiver depends on the sender, eg, iOS doesn't currently support it.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:
6 hours ago, Domus Digital said:

Actually I think you'll find that over ethernet, AirPlay (1) supports 24bit at higher sample rates.  It's only limited to 16/44.1 over WiFi.  Hopefully that will change with AirPlay 2 as too many devices are now 24bit and HiRes music sales are on the rise.

In all my testing and everything I ever seen, AirPlay doesn't support high resolution.  

Indeed. I haven't encountered any AirPlay devices (both official and unofficial) that anounce via Bonjour discovery, support for any resolution other 16/44.1kHz for the AirPlay audio service, regardless of the devices being connected to the network via ethernet cable or WiFi.

-- Jo Cox