IGNORED

Article: The Definitive Guide To Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK)

8 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

Great review of your purchase/setup.  One thing I was wondering about: does the NUC purchase include the necessary 19v 65w power supply (I'm assuming so, it's not mentioned, and I'm also guessing that purchasing the Akasa, which uses same spec power brick, would work as well)?  However, it would appear from the Akasa page that the i7 version is not explicitly supported).  

e.g. http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Fanless Chassis&type_sub=Fanless NUC&model=A-NUC35-A1B#

A couple of clarifications. The Akasa Newton S7 is just a case - it does not come with a PSU. The Intel NUCs do come with a PSU. It's a DIY job to take the motherboard out of the Intel NUC and install it in the Akasa case. Here's an excellent video showing the process.

The Akasa Newton S7 does not support the Core i7 version of the new NUC line for the simple reason that the i7 has a TDP of 28 watts. The i3 and i5 CPUs have a TDP of 15 watts, and the thermal design of the fanless Akasa case is designed to cope with these models.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:00 AM, SMG said:

I'm putting a NUC7i5bnk in an Akasa Plato 7, and have a couple of questions. Should I turn off the fan in the BIOS, and should I use the Akasa-supplied CPU/GPU heat sink pads or heat sink compound? Someone who documented his NUC-Akasa build on YouTube said Mastergel heat sink compound gave him much better thermal behavior than the pads.

I haven't turned the fan off in the BIOS (not sure whether it would make any difference?). I used the Akasa-supplied heatsink pads. More info here