IGNORED

Turning off OS X processes that might actually make a difference

When I was actively tweaking OS X (Mavericks) (and slimming it for SD card booting), I found that with about every 10 active processes turned off I could hear a subtle improvement.  Got down to about 70 (and about 300 threads) and am still perfectly stable (for a music-dedicated machine).  Comparing that build to a factory Mavericks install the difference is quite obvious.

Yet now I need to do the same for El Capitan so I can run the current generations of HQ Player and Audirvana+ on this machine.  The C.A.D. script does not work so hot with El Cap, and so far I can only get down to about 130 processes and 500 threads (and Sierra just runs amok like Windows 10).

So Bill, I am with you on interest in shedding the highest impact agents and daemons, especially since there are an awful lot of totally superfluos ones.

i just don't have the time these days to do the trial and error, and most of the names are quite cryptic.  And as,you have found, sometimes disabling one thing can actually drive up actively elsewhere due to it being turned off.

If you do manage to come up with an up-to-date and effective script (we already know you are good at those), I am sure you would be a hero to a lot of Mac folks here.

Best of luck.  Let us know if we might be able to look forward to something.

:D

Alex C.