IGNORED

Which DACs bypass digital filtering?

51 minutes ago, Jud said:

I too would like to see information on superior hardware processing (DAC chips, FPGAs, shift registers, whatever) at prices competitive with available software, if @mansr knows of anything that has been implemented in consumer, pro, or DIY equipment.

I'm listening now to HQP via NAA into my Esoteric DAC with (as per the TEACs) its onboard upsampling and filtering options set to off.  Sounds good, but is bettered to my ears just fed by my BDP, letting the Esoteric do the up sampling and filtering (although admittedly not when using the DSD conversion option)

In terms of superior hardware processing, I borrowed  a DAVE a few weekends back.  The results were superb, better than any digital  I've heard to date.   However it's an expensive  item and I'm interested in how close I could get instead with a DAC specifically tailored to HQP.

I can't see though that comparing software vs. DAC prices is meaningful.  The software is just upsampling and filtering, surely the analogue conversion, power supply and output  stage of a DAC make up 50% plus of eventual SQ?

3 hours ago, Jud said:

For anyone willing to do a little DIY, there's Miska's DSC1 with very good parts quality for not much over $400 and some of your time (balanced configuration under $1000).  Miska says it's the best DAC he's heard.  Let's say he's a little proud of his design and there are some very expensive DACs that beat it.  Still an interesting proposition.

Interesting, any idea if it's possible to buy a finished DSC1 for those of us without DIY skills or inclinations? 

23 hours ago, Jud said:

I have seen ads for some boards from China - don't know if they're fully populated and what the quality might be.

Since schematics and (IIRC) suggested parts lists are available,  another possibility is to pay someone local with decent electronics skills to build one for you.

So the DSC1 really only exists as a design, not even a kit of parts?

I would have thought there'd be enough takers for a HQP-tailored DAC to make it worthwhile someone selling as a finished item.  I'd likely buy one.

41 minutes ago, semente said:

Thanks to everyone who participated.

The list of DACs hasn't grown much, though:

- Phasure NOS1 DAC

- Teac UD-501 and UD-503

- Aqua DACs

- Lampizator DACs

+ Esoteric DACS and players ( as per TEAC)

+ Mivera

+ Soekris 1541  (if there is filter off option, maybe?) 

• 5 months later...

How about Audio Note DACs?  Although in the spirit of this thread, their limited inputs/rates  probably don't make for a practical proposition for these looking to do pre-DAC DSP.  I think the cheapest model 0.1x? has USB input and accepts  up to the giddy heights of 24/96.

• 5 years later...