IGNORED

Proper Grounding a system

I'm surprised that no one has compared or commented on the Synergistic Research grounding products.  From what I've read it looks like this might just be an alternate connection from devices to the main house ground.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/ground-isolation/

Has anyone demo'd these products?  I had them demo with and without at Axpona but that's in a loud environment.  A lot of people ooo'd and ahhh'd saying they could hear the difference, but I couldn't tell.

On 6/14/2017 at 10:40 PM, Tecnik1 said:

Entreq boxes is nothing short of amazing, one only has to disconnect the boxes to hear the SQ collapse to an almost unlistenable level.

For the typical nay sayer to which this hobby is full of " usually engineers you really need to try before running off at the mouth that is if your system is really high end and is up to it.

Are you serious that without these ground boxes your sound quality degrades to where it is nearly unlistenable?

To tie that in with your next statement, "if your system is really high end" then how could equipment be any good if it requires this grounding box to be listenable?

I know you're trying to be convincing, but you shot yourself in the foot with those statements.

51 minutes ago, Jud said:

Don’t you know that filtering and tuning ground noise to the characteristic resonance frequencies of lightning energy as it bounces around the giant waveguide between Earth and the ionosphere makes system grounding ever so much more effective?

Image result for sarcasm

39 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

the Navy is using ELF too - don't forget their effects on your stereo

John, do you know how much they want for those 'active' gnds?

At Axpona the "Ground Block" version was between $400-500.  I don't recall the exact amount.  IIRC the Active Ground Block was a couple grand, between $2-3k,  Don't quote me though.

9 minutes ago, audio.bill said:

I have to say it again, but I honestly don't understand how some can continue to condemn a product that they've never tried or heard for themselves. I was as skeptical as anyone about the Nordost QKORE system until I heard it, but once I did I became a believer. No it wasn't a double blind test under laboratory conditions, just listened to familiar music on a system that I know well and the changes were obvious and repeatable. Listening to music is an emotional journey which is subjective by nature, and over the years I've found many components which may not objectively measure better to sound better. We may not have the ability to measure to levels which our ears can discern, or more likely we may sometimes be measuring the wrong things. I listen subjectively and critically but I let my heart be my guide, and I'm an electrical engineer. To each their own...

I don't know if it is being condemned, but being questioned.  More like doubted until proven factual.  Typical scientific method.  There are many things we can do to change the sound of our system.  The grounding box devices claim to remove noise from the signal path, allowing more of the original source to be heard, lowering the floor and improving the overall listening experience.  I think the jury's still out and looking for definable evidence, not just empirical, to show this is actually happening.  I don't think anyone's claiming you aren't hearing something different.

42 minutes ago, Jud said:

Note I personally only commented on the Synergistic Research stuff. This is the second time I’ve seen an “explanation” from them regarding how a product is supposed to work that has big scientific words but doesn’t hang together if you know what the words mean.

The first time it happened (cables were the product) I mentioned it in a comment on Audiostream, and within a few days Synergistic had changed their website copy (in a rather cagey way) regarding what I pointed out.

IMO they are very marketing heavy.  So much so that I get that greasy car salesman feeling when listening to their founder talk.

3 hours ago, Johnseye said:

IMO they are very marketing heavy.  So much so that I get that greasy car salesman feeling when listening to their founder talk.

Here's an example.  The owner explaining his products at Munich 2017.  There are several other videos on YouTube.  Note the Black Box and high frequency transducers "HFT"s on the wall or on the speakers.  It should be measurable and I'd love to see the measurements.  

"HFTs oscillate at high frequencies creating an energy field in your room that overpowers room vibrational distortions to correct phase and frequency interactions for harmonic balance in your treated room. You hear an increase in depth and width, with clearer more extended highs, and tighter bass."

Here's the link to the BlackBox with a video at the bottom of the page.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/acoustics/passive/blackbox/

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Do you dismiss using prayer (without having given it a try) rather than antibiotics to treat bacterial pneumonia?  

Getting in a little deep there. I get the correlation but that would be an ethical boundary. 

I think the point to remember is that when actual scientific means of testing are available they should be used. When those means are not yet discovered then the scientific method should be adhered to as best as possible. Otherwise anyone can make a claim for any reason which can be taken as fact. So to protect the lives of the innocent please keep all hands and feet inside the windows at all times. 

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I didn't even know that grounding boxes had windows 

It's true and they're the best of all grounding boxes, but please don't ask me to test it.  Just take my word for it.

3 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I'm simply saying that the claim, frequently recited here, that you shouldn't be critical of anything, regardless of how un-physical the claim might be, unless you have personally tried it, is completely fatuous.  

I know.