IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

May I ask a stupid question?  I just received my Ultrarendu today.  I have three copies of all my music: one external USB hard drive, one hard drive attached to my router as NAS; and one hard drive in my primary desktop computer.

My router can function as a DLNA server.

I would like to use my tablet to control playback.  I'd like the ability to upsample to DSD as well.  How do I do these two things?

Thanks!

HC 

Front ends:

Digital: Sonore ultraRendu or SOtM 200 ultra Trifecta --> LKS MH-D004

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC --> Rogue Triton

Back end: SMc Audio VRE-1C --> SMc Audio DNA125 Platinum Plus-->Stealth Dream v10 cables --> Ridge Street Audio Designs Sason speakers, dual Rhythmik F12SE subs

16 hours ago, jaaptina said:

To get dlna streaming going I recommend Bubbleupnp as control point on your Android tablet or phone. 

Thanks!  Got Bubbleupnp running today.  This weekend I will go ahead and start my 60-day Roon trial, although I balk at the price. :(

Front ends:

Back end: SMc Audio VRE-1C --> SMc Audio DNA125 Platinum Plus-->Stealth Dream v10 cables --> Ridge Street Audio Designs Sason speakers, dual Rhythmik F12SE subs

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, barrows said:

This point of view is entirely in error.  ROON plays the file, and passes the file to the endpoint.  The the endpoint converts from a file type (.wav, .dsf, etc) to a digital audio stream (in this case USB) which can be accepted by a DAC.  That conversion process matters to sound quality, as does the level of noise produced by the endpoint, and transmitted over USB to the DAC.  This is why purpose built for audio devices such as the ultraRendu can achieve such an improvement in sound quality over something built as a commercial grade computer component, with all the compromises inherent in the design of commercial grade computer products: built to the lowest possible price point, standard $.50 cent clock(s) vs expensive low phase noise clock(s), noisy switching regulators vs. expensive ultra low noise linear regulators, and tons of other details which make real differences in sound quality.

I've wondered about how much influence the uR has on the sound as well, especially when I hear people saying Jriver sounds better than Roon, or Roon sounds better with HQPlayer than by itself and so forth.  I have a DAC that is extraordinarily revealing, and my system now sounds just a bit "edgy" and needs a bump in the 250-750Hz range.  Easily enough corrected with the parabolic EQ in Roon, but it leads me to wonder what is influencing the sound the most - the software, the general purpose computer acting as a Roon server, the uR, or the DAC. 

Front ends:

Well played, my friend.  Well played!  :)

Not to get off topic, but does it bother anyone else that several highly-rated DACs in the $1500-$2500 range serve other purposes like preamp or headphone amp?  I heard the Benchmark DAC3 at Capital Audio Fest, and it sounded excellent.  I've not heard the Mytek Brooklyn, but both companies have invested money in an amplifier section for headphones, and even without hearing any of the units logic tells me a single-function unit such as the Holo Spring DAC or LKS MH-D004 should be, and probably are, better values.  I understand the reasons companies do this, but it dissuades me from buying their product.  

I guess that's why I bought a uR, right?  It does one thing, and does it darn well!

Front ends:

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, esmit said:

You have a USB powered wife?

... aaaaand that's the last time I sip my morning coffee while reading this thread.  I'm now having to clean spewed coffee off my monitor!

Well played, sir!

Front ends: