IGNORED

A New Frontier

famoej

I am about 30 minutes into this site so this will be my first posting. At the end of the day (never put that on a resume) , it's all about music. I tell my friends that as long as it sounds good to you, it's good. There are MANY of us always looking for the next best thing in sound or at least another reason to spend money on what one would hope will bring it to the next level. This leads me to this post. I want it to sound good. I want to take all my redbook/sacd titles and file them onto a huge drive in order to access/play them on my system. Now it would seem to me that most all have a computer, whether it be a mac which I prefer or a PC. All of us have the basis of a music server. The price of DACS range from $150-I must be crazy. The last I read, the quality of USB cables is mediocre at best. Someone tell me things have changed please. If that is the case, then the end result can only be as good as the best cable, correct??? I happen to have a squeezebox which sounds ok, but gets the job done. I can stream tons of internet radio and locals that I can't get through my system without FM static. I do notice limited dynamics, but again, it's not for hard core listening, just tunes. I have attempted to improve the sound by running the dig out into my Mc mx132 but aren't I not limited by the squeezebox? I guess, if you spend big money on an Olive or Naim, eliminating the mac and the USB would create a high-end system, I guess. There is just so much BLA BLA BLA out there that I do not know who speaks with fork tung.

Hope some genius can enlighten me.

Thx

You're in the right place for building the music server you want. Read around and you'll learn a lot. The quick version is, you're right, as long as it sounds good to you, it's good. If you've got a Mac already, and likely some speakers and an amp you like, all you need is a DAC that sounds good to you to go between them. Audiophile-quality USB cables can be had, and can feed truly excellent systems. Browse through the CASH list on the left side of the page for starters on equipment (ranges in cost, just a list of "good stuff"), and read the articles in the CA Academy on building a music server. I'm linking to the first of the four, which are four options of varying cost and complexity. There are plenty of readers here who are happy to help with your questions along the way.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Build-Audiophile-Music-Server-CA01

My opinion on this may be controversial, but I'll share it (again) anyway.

There are MUCH more important aspects of the computer audio playback chain to spend money on than audiophile USB cables.

As I've stated elsewhere, if I found that a DAC required an 'expensive' audiophile USB cable to sound good, I'd investigate the source of the issues and solve them rather than spend a huge amount of money on the cable. There are threads around which discuss this.

My point being - starting off your search by assuming you NEED an expensive USB cable is pure madness. Chris recently reported that he's tried many and settled on a Kimber v2 silver cable (cost of $75).

One place to start is to get a Firewire DAC rather than USB. Cable cost of the most often recommended Firewire cable is $15.

just my opinion,

clay

Your post requires a fair amount of information transfer - I'm sure by now that you have been through the site to gauge opinions.

In CD playing/ CA audiophile we are the digital domain - so we can ignore the analog side of the audiophile experience.

CD players source bits from the CD media - now we can rip and source those bits from a computer (more effectively) than the mechanical nature of the CD players.

Because the traditional CD player has been 'exploded' to - the computer + DAC there are many more options. These options are progressing quickly technically and prices are falling.

Because we have a computer plus a DAC - the owner is required to engineer the system more than in the past - you will come across several engineering solutions - some (much) more valid than others.

The computer allows more freedom to choose/play music. From playlists to higher sampling rates (we are no longer limited to CD packaging). The DAC allows us to choose our digital to analog conversion mechanisms.

You can spend little or a lot on your CA audiophile system - my experience is that is not so much what is better but what is the best price/performance which is ultimately subjective - there are many posts that will break down the categories.

I have no doubt that a very impressive audiophile like system can be made cost effectively.

To address the USB cable - you are not correct in the assumption that the system is only as good as the poor USB cable. You have choices e.g. not use USB - use firewire - not use either and/or use async delivery which makes the cable irrelevant. - again many a conversation to be had here.

We are at the beginning. CA stuff is not neatly packaged - however you will find many authorities here that can guide you.

/Paul

Serious Listening:[br]Intel Mac Pro 6G (SSD) -> Amarra ->Alpha USB ->Alpha I Dac -> Ayre KX-R -> Tom Evans Linear Class A -> Avantgarde Mezzo Horns (107db) + Basshorns-> Engineered Room (Power, Traps, Helmholtz Resonators, Ceiling Diffusers)[br]Computer Listening:Intel Mac Pro 6G -> Lavry DA10 -> Adams S3A Active Monitors

Thanks for all the responses. I guess it will be a bit of trial and error. My MACBook Pro will act as the server which I can add additional drives for storage. As I mentioned, I currently use the Squeezebox via wifi and the dig out of the SQBX into my McIntosh MX132's dig in. All my cables have been selected based on my sound tastes (as opposed to stereophile article about the entire chain being the same, I run a mix of types). If I keep the SQBX as the receiving/control unit, am I limited to 16 bit 44.4 sound as the SQBX states? If that is the case then I guess the only way to improve this part of the system would be to run a dig cable direct to my McIntosh. Can I do that?

Looks like I will be spending a lot of time reading this site!! :-)

Phil