IGNORED

Blue Jeans Cable Cat 6a

2 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The new REVConnect connector system is really state of the art.

Yes.  It is unfortunate that one cannot rent the installation tool.  I had to come up with an alternative installation system for the cable.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

46 minutes ago, plissken said:

How much is $110 compared to the rest of your gear? Also you could have sold it...

Sure, I could afford it but I chose not to go the route where the total cost of two $10 connectors (assuming they were done properly the first time) would have cost more than $60 each.    (Besides, I find it hard to resell anything.  Just ask my wife.)

That said, if I need to do multiple connections in the future, I will reassess. 

Kal Rubinson

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Depends on what you are trying to do and assess. 

The beauty of the REVConnect is the ability to make a consistent high qualityimpedance matched connection. Important for 10G. If you are using 10mbit Ethernet, you probably can twist two coat hangars together (I’m sure that’s been done ?).

Theres a short learning curve for 1G — basically you want to untwist the wires as little as possible when making the connection. 

What I meant was, if I do a reconfiguration of the network wiring which would entail new interconnections, I would probably want to support 10G since I would not want to do it again.

At the moment, 1G is working just fine. 

Kal Rubinson

3 hours ago, plissken said:

Sorry, I'm missing your point. What I'm saying is if you have 5e in wall, and it's at spec, you defacto have 10G support and no rewire required. 

Sorry.  I was having some renovations done last year and I took the opportunity to run CAT6A (Belden 10GX) from my den (Desktop PC, Modem/Router and NAS drives to the main room (Music player/system) through walls.  The only terminations I made were at the two ends.

However, I am contemplating moving the NAS drives and the modem/router into a laundry/utility room through which the cable passes and that will require new switches and connection in there.  Not currently planning on 10G but will do what is necessary to keep that as an option. 

Kal Rubinson

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

You can have an Ethernet patch cable building and wine tasting party with your friends ;) 

I think that I prefer to do this in private.....................................

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

How easy do you find it to use?

Not too difficult but it is a learning process.  I cannot do it as fast as on the YouTube videos or the demo at NAB. 

Kal Rubinson